Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Radio King Lugs (beaver or cigar)

I have an old set of Radio Kings that have been in my basement for over 30 years waiting for me to have the time to recondition. The time has come! (Yea for retirement!)

I am trying to get a confirmation of the lugs that are on the drums. (picture now on next post_

The outer part of the lugs have 4 grooves in them that curve into the bottom of the lug. The outer 2 groves continue to the end of the bottom of the lug all the way to the shell, the inner two groves end about 1/2" from the shell. The lugs are a little wider at the bottom of the lug than at the top part where the rod enters.

The lugs are nickle plated, not chrome. They are 2 1/2" long.

I've seen references to RK lugs as being "cigar" or "beaver tail". Can any of

you explain the difference? Does the lug I describe give you any idea of the

which it would be (I'm thinking beaver)? Does the lug give a clue as to the age of the drum?

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

I think (hope) I figured out how to include a picture of one of the drums so you can see the lugs.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4200&stc=1&d=1229327472

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Pick up.. "The Slingerland Book", By Rob Cook. It's a great reference for every Slingerland owner.

Your picture shows a "Beavertail".

I'm guessing the "cigar" refers to the "Streamlined" lugs which did look, I guess, like a metal cigar. :)

Lots of good pictures of both of them if you visit this site..

http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/newslinghistory.htm

Looks like you will have a great vintage drum set after a great project!! There are wonderful method outlines in the "Restoration and Help" section on this site.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Here's the same tom from the picture in post #2 after some work on it.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From ReGaL Music

Here's the same tom from the picture in post #2 after some work on it.

WOW!! Eye Ball You did all THAT in two DAYS???? Nice job!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

Like I said in post #1 YEA for retirement This drum was the easy one.

The floor tom and bass are going to take a lot more time and elbow grease.

I'll put up some pictures when I get the entire set done.

Posted on 15 years ago

So you're re-wrapping in red or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes. I thought about a more traditional (white pearl), but I decided to try something a little different (red crystal). The drums had already been rewrapped when I bought them about 30 years ago with a solid black wrap, so any real vintage value is in the shells, lugs, rims, legs, etc. I may decide to go with a white pearl at a later date. I figure the work I'm doing with rust/tarnish removal will not be wasted time should I decide to go more traditional later. So far I really like the way it's looking.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here