Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Radio King Floor Tom

Hi to everyone, This is my first post and i'd like to thankyou for your help. I have set of Duplex Drums that I inherited from my Grandpa who played in orchestra's in the 20's through 50's. The floor tom is a Radio King. The heads are original. I am curious as to what year this tom was made. Im sending pictures of the tom. thankyou

Posted on 18 years ago

Judging from the "Beavertail" lugs, your tom dates from the 1940's up to the early 1950's.

Posted on 18 years ago

Very nice, desireable drum. What snare drum did your grandfather have?

Posted on 18 years ago

The snare is a duplex as is the rest of the set. Hank

Posted on 18 years ago

Well un-intentionally my question has been answered. I have a Duplex snare. Same lugs as those and features the clamshell strainer. And they are from the 40's and early 50's? Anyway to get a more precise date or is that not very possible due to lack of drum serial numbers?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

No serial numbers on the floor tom. I have looked all over. My set of Duplex also has no serial numbers. What's the trick. How do you find out the age?

Posted on 18 years ago

Serial numbers have limited use in most cases.

The hardware, shell, finish, badge are what get you to the closest

date.

We have a resident Slingerland expert DrCJW that has his own forum section.

Follow this link read everything he has to say and then you will find the link on the contact page.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for that link. Gave me some very good information. I was now able to date my two Slingerland concert toms to about 1975. I knew they were definatly 70's models from bring concert toms,having two clip mounts on them,and the coloration of the interior with re-eforcemnt rings. I'm sure I will definatly be using that chart again as I collect more Slingerlands.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here