Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Radio King Clamshell Strainer

I'm in the process of acquiring a 1959 Radio King snare with the clamshell strainer. The problem is that it has lost the screw that holds the snare wires on to the strainer and currently has some standard wires with string rigged up to hold them in place. I was wanting to see if anyone would know the thread count, length, and such that I would need so that I can pick some of these screws up from the hardware store and get it working like it should. Thanks!

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 15 years ago

6-32 on mine but I can't promise that is what they all are.. remember to put in the spacer between bottom bars and the wires.

Put up some pic's when you're done.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks! I'll definately post pix when I get it all fixed up! Are the spacers basically washers?

Posted on 15 years ago

Yep.. just a couple little flat washer. Do a search for "super strainer" on this forum and there is a thread with pics that shows what the real ones looked like (they had a little shoulder). I just can't imagine you could ever find originals.

Best of luck... what a great drum!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks again, Jim! I appreciate the information!

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

So I got the kit home to change heads and such. The snare is in great shape, but I noticed that the snare beds are slightly rotated in relation to the strainer setup. It appears to be a factory issue because the strainer and lug holes are all evenly spaced. I am going to try the new snares when I recieve them to see how they respond. If they do not respond well should I have them recut to allign with the strainer?..if so, is their a someone who is well known for restoring vintage equipment? I don't want to compensate the value any more than I have to because of the great condition it is in. Also, is light blue pearl a rare color for this year?

thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

Well that's different.. misaligned... can you put up a picture. Must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning on the snare bed cutting line when that one came through... :)

What part of the world are you in? I'm sure somebody on here will know a good shop.

Can't say for sure on rarity of that finish.. maybe somebody else can jump in on that one.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately, I'm at school and the drum is at home (3 hours away). I am sending it to Don Wheeler at Phoenix Drum Shop this weekend. He seems to be pretty well respected in the vintage restoration community due to his affiliations.

Here is a link....

http://www.phoenix-drumshop.com/

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here