Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Radio King Clamshell blues....

I had the snare beds extended on my Radio King due to an original factory issue. Then I discovered that Slingerland put more engineering into their drums than I though, haha. The snare wires don't turn all of the way off now when the drum is tensioned properly. Also, the wires rest on shell at the bearing edge. After looking the snare over for a while I realized that the strainer needs the original beds so that it functions properly. If I get the entire bearing edge and beds recut to factory specs will the issue be resolved? I am affraid that the strainer mechanism will also have to be adjusted to fit the recut height of the shell. Has anyone had their bottom edge recut on these with great success? I want to be able to tension it and be able to turn the wires off without them buzzing as I play the snare as a "tom". Also, has anyone had work done by the Drum Doctors before? I am thinking about having them cut the edges.

Thanks!

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 15 years ago

Do you have the spacing washers on the bottom bar?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Yup! I even tried up to 3 washers on either side to see how it responded. Basically, the more washers I added the more I had to tighten the tension knob. It put me right back to where I started....I think it even sounded worse, haha. It has to be something with the geometry of the strainer and snare bed relationship.....something I don't want to think tooooo much about it, haha.

From my evaluation....the wider snare beds bend the drum head in such a way that the head deformation starts at a point closer to the center of the drum (looking at it from the bottom). This is decreasing the amount of contact that the head has with the 16 strand wires. It is also increasing the amount of travel required by the strainer which the mechanism doesn't have.

The narrower (stock) beds place the deformation closer to the outer region of the shell. I believe that this allows for more wire-to-head due to the geometry of the drum head from the snare bed to the center.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Posted on 15 years ago

Here are a couple shots of a bed on an RK I bought awhile back... not sure if they will help you any.

I guess I'm not even sure these beds haven't been messed with.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you Jim! This will be helpful. I'll have to do a comparison when I get back home this weekend. Just curious....do the wires turn all of the way off so that it can be played like a tom? If you tension it up well do the snare wires touch the beds?

Thanks again!

Posted on 15 years ago

Well honestly I have not had that one together.. bought it as a shell and lugs. I now have all the hardware for it but I haven't gotten it cleaned and assembled.

I do have another clamshell Radio King on a kit that works very well.. it is my favorite snare.

I have a 6 lug student model Slingerland and when compared the snare beds are quite different between the drums.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Put that baby together! haha

Posted on 15 years ago

Actually I had really hoped to have the Red RK, my Blue Rk and my White student model together for a little patriotic Red, White and Blue Slingerland snare photo shoot for the 4th of July.

Not going to make that one.... maybe next year. :)

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jim, you've got a BIG WEEKEND coming up, right?

Clapping Happy2ExcitedJump For JoyCool1The BandMallet Player2

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Gotta make a run to the local fireworks outlet.... Hmmm I bet my drum lessons won't go near as well if I end the 4th a couple fingers short.. :)

Party

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here