Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

"YOU MAKE THE CALL"..... Please!

OK........... so you've got a meager collection of vintage American-made snare drums and have a few extra dollars to add one more to the fold. Your choices are among the following:

1. 1964 Oyster Black Pearl Ludwig (6-lug) with original wrap, keystone badge, P-83 strainer & baseball bat muffler @ $300.00;

2. 1960 White Marine Pearl Rogers Holiday (8-lug) with original wrap, Rogers script badge, muffler & Orchestra Strainer @ $260.00; or

3. 1970s Ludwig Blue Vistalite (10-lug) with Blue & Olive Badge, P-85 strainer and original muffler @ $300.00.

All the above are in very sound shape, both cosmetically and functionally.

From a collector's point of view, which of the above choices would be the best value and why?

THANKS in advance for your time and feedback!

Posted on 16 years ago

Rogers drums are hot right now. I'd go with the Rogers first, Vistalite second and the BOP Ludwig third.

I'm not a collector (of these makes) but I watch eBay and make note of the trends, so that's my guess.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

The '64 OBP Pioneer. That finish and that year = good

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I thought you just purchased a blue Vistalite set,that did not have the matching snare drum? For collecting, Rogers (hot on ebay), Ludwig BOP (that finish and year will always bring value), Vistalite (blue is pretty common).

Playing, Vistalite (to match your set), BOP (I like 8 and 10 lug snares, but, I have played on some 6 lug snares that sound great) Rogers (the B+B lugs crack).

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

THANKS fto all for the feedback to date!

All your points are valid, as usual. There lies my problem in making a decision.

SUPER B: You are correct. I did recently purchase a Ludwig Blue Vistalite kit without the matching snare. However, most people that I've spoken with feel that because the "blue" is quite common, as you've stated, it shouldn't be much of a problem to find the matching snare drum "down the road" at a decent price.

The only issue that I've got with the Rogers Holiday snare drum is that I really can't get a good read on the cosmetic condition of the finish since the pictures I've seen are all "too bright", as if the flash on the camera was placed too close to the drum. Unfortunately, the current owner doesn't live in the area so I can't get a close-up look of this one. I was considering it to go with a WMP Rogers Floor Tom and Rack Tom that I've got from the same era with the orginal B&B lugs, as what's on the snare drum being offered.

I don't have anything in the Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl and thought the snare would be a nice addition to my collection. However, I'm not sure if it's worth spending $300.00 on a 6-lug snare drum, regardless of the finish. Would I get my money back when it comes time to sell it, or would I take a loss at this price?

In summary, I don't really "need" a matching vistalite for my kit, since I've got two Supraphonics that would look just fine with it. I also don't "need" a matching Rogers WMP Holiday snare, since I've got a COB Dyna-Sonic that would work well with the two pieces I've already got. But, in reality, do we really "need" any of this great stuff? We all know the answer to that question! The Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl interests me SOLELY because of the wrap itself.

Confused, as usual!Hmmmm

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a 68 Ludwig 6 lug 5x14 and it is my favorite. Maybe I just got lucky with this particular drum, it has a wide tunning range. BOP is a great color.

Posted on 16 years ago

I, too, LOVE 6-lug Ludwig Pioneer snare drums. I think they are reeeeeaaaallly nice-sounding drums. For that reason, it is a very user-worthy model, in my opinion. Add to that, the BOP wrap and that year (should have red felt baseball bat muffler, btw). You make a good point about the $300 price. However, all three drums you have mentioned are in a comparable price range to each other, so I presumed these are the three you are interested in and are considering within that price range. As I mentioned, I think the year and the finish and the fact that it's typically a great-sounding model of Ludwig snare drum, all combine to make it the best investment of the three.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I check from time to time to see the value of my stuff and a 6 lug ludwig is generally in the two to three hundred dollar price range, depending on condition. I have never bought anything with resale value in mind although I have been thinking about it lately, I buy because I like it and want to use it. What does your gut tell you?

Posted on 16 years ago

OBP Ludwig, no brainer. I've seen OBP Pioneers sell for $1000 on ebay. If you don't want it I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

grab the 64 obp,now!!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here