Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

"Vintage Drums" Book - Bogus Slingerland Info

If you happen to own the book "Guide to Vintage Drums" by John Aldridge, now would be a good time to grab it for referancing.

At the top of page 95, the author states that the Slingerland factory was moved to Niles, Illinois in the late 1970's, and that is when the badge change occured. According to other book and internet sources (including this site), the Niles badge appears as early as 1960. Is this simply a typo, or is the author mistaken? They should really revise this book if that's the case, because I know it's a popular one, and I lost about a half hour of my life making sure I wasn't mistaken about the Niles badge.

Just wondered if anyone else saw that.

~ Pants

"There is no Spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

<<<...They should really revise this book if that's the case,...>>>

I suggest that you talk to the author who is a straight up guy and will be happy to discuss it with you...John Aldridge NSMD ph# 405-214-4499.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Mike.

You don't happen to have an e-mail address do you. I'd hate to bug the guy.

"Hi, you don't know me, but I found an error in your book! Let's be pals!"

An e-mail may be more comfortable for him (and me too probably).

Thanks.

~Pants

"There is no spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

Any book written has some type of error or needs revisions. So I would gather John has a bunch of things to do, but no time to work on the book. He is not a member on this forum but has his own forum on his web site

I would also go to the Slingerland Forum on this web site and talk to Drcjw about Slingerland. He is extremely knowledgeable and can shed light on the topic.

Other then that from my perspective I get email on a regular basis for errors on my web site. Fortunately I can make quick changes and fixes and with a book the process is much more involved.

Interestingly enough the badge pages on the main web site are constantly being challenged and I get email saying that something is wrong or can't be that date. I finally gave up on it and unless I get concrete evidence I just leave it alone.

I also in the past asked for help from the "Community" on badges that are not dated and I get no or little response. So I'm Damned if I do and Damned if I don't"

Regardless it is fun and since I have the ability to do the web site and not have to pay to have it done, the sky is the limit for me and that is why it is so huge and growing!

I personally own that book and all of Rob Cook's books and use them regularly for reference.

Just last night I got an email about a WFL Lyre Badge Snare drum. I have never seen that badge in aluminum so I went to Rob's book and also did not see it pictured. I figured one of two things. The badge was just super clean and the other badges I have seen have changed color or, it is a badge that Rob will add to the new book update and he already has it. Of course I emailed Rob the picture and added it to the web site. You will see it in the WFL Badge section. Click Here It is surely different then the badge above it in regards to the color and the grommet.

Sorry about the rambling, I have not said much on the forum recently and just needed to get it out.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I can definately appreciate the fact that John can't just reprint his book everytime he finds an error. It's really not even that big of a deal to me, since I at least know what the correct info is now, I was just concerned for other people.

I appreciate the "ramblings" also, so whatever you do don't stop. It helps me to fill in the gaps because I am so new at this. What you may consider commonplace knowledge, I probably have no idea about.

I have been directing most of my specific Slingerland questions over to Dr. CJW, however my posts are given much faster feedback here, so I'm always tempted to just post everywhere all the time (which would probably get annoying for everyone).

I also just put in an order for "The Slingerland Book" (Rob Cook I think, right?), so hopefully that will help fill in even more gaps. I have a lot of questions, especially about the drums that were manufactured in Shelbyville, Tenn.

Ahwell, the hunt for info (as well as drums) is half the fun, right?

~Pants

"There is no spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

just to confirm- i noticed that error when i got that book a year ago. but cross-referencing brings out tons of stuff like that. i just read a harry cagnay (sp?) article from a back issued modern drummer that had info. that conflicted with his own book.

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Thanks Mike.You don't happen to have an e-mail address do you. I'd hate to bug the guy."Hi, you don't know me, but I found an error in your book! Let's be pals!"An e-mail may be more comfortable for him (and me too probably).Thanks.~Pants"There is no spoon."

Here you go... [email]NSMDJohn@aol.com[/email]

He is currently editing the text for my book...it's always good to have as many "eyes" when possible...good luck.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]Slingerland built and moved from Chicago to Niles during 1960. Even after they were settled in the new Niles plant, they continued to use up their supply of Chicago badges. Slingerland began using the new Niles badges (which at first had no serial numbers) in the spring of 1961. The first drums with the Niles no-serial badge typically have shell date stamps of "MAR 1961", and mostly "APR 1961".

Please feel free to visit my badge page on this site:

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drcjw/article_1_badges.html

The work is the result of extensive multi-source research coupled with substantial personal experience as a life-long Slingerland drummer, so I am confident the information will help you.

Now a comment if I may on research. This is a process of learning, and the process, fortunately, never stops. That's the fun of it all. John Aldrich, Harry Cangany, and Rob Cook have all written fine books on vintage drums. However, each of these books has many errors in them. It is a reality. We all learn more every day. Even Rob's updated version of "The Slingerland Book" still has many errors. But I personally love the book just the same. It has fantastic information and is a celebration of Slingerland.

Much of the reason I decided to start writing here on David's site was to help sharpen, with continual web updates not possible with a single published work, information on Slingerland for all of us, based on my own research and knowledge. At the same time I also am writing a book, and despite the voluminous research, preparation, proof reading etc, I have no doubt that there will still be some errors that will have to be corrected in later versions.

Mike - greatly looking forward to your book. I assume there will be lots of pictures of all those fantastic drums you have![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago

And I am greatly looking forward to both of your books! As a young drummer, I feel very fortunate to have such great resources (books, websites) at my fingertips. In fact, I just recieved Rob Cook's Book today! (Heh heh, "Cook Book")

Thank You all again for your work and dedication to the instrument. It makes me proud to be a drummer.

~Pants

"There is no spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

<<<...Mike - greatly looking forward to your book. I assume there will be lots of pictures of all those fantastic drums you have!...>>>

Hi Dr.CJW,

Thanks...

Yep, many drums...95% photos and 5% text...Aug. '06 or before...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here