Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

"The most recorded drumkit - makes it the best" Rant and Vent

Bait and Switch!

Goggle this and get lots of claims on the Yamaha Recording Custom.

Quote:

* Recording Custom series - This series of Yamaha drums are known throughout the music industry as "the most recorded drums in the world".

For 25 years, the Recording Custom has set a benchmark for excellence. Possibly the most recorded drum in history, it has enjoyed an unparalleled history of success and innovation.

Unquote:

So, the Yamaha Recording Custom is the best kit in the world?...because it's the most recorded??? That's the logic taken from the last thread.

Any takers?

Ok. I'll let you off the hook. I wanted to test the depth of defense that a single drum or a single kit would generate. We are a passionate bunch where drums are concerned. I chose the obvious for this forum - the Ludwig Supra-phonic Snare.

I realize this was dirty pool to pull you along and coax most of you into a dead fight stance, but it was all to prove a point (that some of you already have mastered).

THERE IS NO BEST SNARE OR BEST DRUM KIT. The fact that one snare or one kit was used more than any other does not make it the best, just like the Yamaha claim that it's the "most recorded drums in the world" would make those the best kits.

It was a lot of fun for me and a definite educational experience for some. It's just the teacher in me coming out. I love doing this kind of stuff. There was another gent on this forum who has the same slant. He proposed a simple ethical choice. It was one of the most interesting forum discussions I've ever been a part of. Nicely done.

If you're offended by my tactics, then so be it. It was all in the name of education. I learned a lot. So did others. If you got upset, you will eventually get over it. Thanks to all who participated and again, thanks to this forum for an extremely educational experience. I've copied this run for two of my 6th grade classes. It's gonna be a sweet lesson for our Character Lesson Wednesday next week. Cool Stuff!!!

Sincerely,

Michael

P.S. I think a few of you might be correct in predicting an increase in Supra sales. Interesting.

Posted on 15 years ago

Actually I think Ludwigs are the most recorded drums of all time...LOL! At least from the 60's to the 80's....:p

Posted on 15 years ago

Pearl Forum is the best kit of all time. Fact. (sarcasm alert)

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 15 years ago

Since most of my playing is done live, and I only record when necessary, neither the supra or RCs ring my bell. For live, Camco Oaklawn, Ohio Rogers and Sonor do it for me. My Ludwig snares are from the 1920s. Probably the best snaredrums ever made.

Posted on 15 years ago

Even though it's not been around for that long, you'd have to throw DW in the mix. Seems like 90% of country songs over the last 10 yrs or so....and a whole bunch of pop/rock. Best....no. Does well in a recording situation....you have to give it that.

Posted on 15 years ago

You raise a good point. I did some reading of a "recording techniques" textbook (I forget the name, but I will update when i get around to it) and in the chapters related to drum recording a large number of well known working producers sighted dw as the go to choice for studio work, namely for the volume of the kit. balancing cymbals and drums in the overheads is always the difficult part, as cymbals are loud, but according to this writing dw drums solved this problem, and as a result dw drums are now a prominent choice. wether this is actually the case or just dw doing their endorsment work very well I do not know.

Talking about current brands that are making a mark, what about Brady?

hit hard
Posted on 15 years ago

Mark Brady? I've never met him. Does he play?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here