Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

"that Great Gretsch Sound"

The only Gretsch snare that I've currently got in my modest collection is a 6-lug model from the early 60s.

I purchased the drum simply as a collector, not as a player. Whenever I seem to discuss Gretsch snares with personnel at my local vintage drum shops they all seem to feel that the vintage Gretsch snares were some of the worst sounding snare drums of the 60s among the Ludwigs, Rogers and Slingerlands. If that is, in fact, the case was "That Great Gretsch Sound" simply a misnomer?

I'm hoping to hear from players that actually used vintage Gretsch snares at one time or another so that they can let me know how they felt they compared with the other American drum manufacturers of the early 60s.

Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

I had one once and it was one of the worst sounding snare drums I have ever heard. It was dead no matter what heads I tried. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

The term that great Gretsch sound is marketing and nothing more...in my opinion. I love Gretsch drums...don't get me wrong. If only I would have bought the several round badge kits I used to see selling for 5-6 hundred bucks back in the nineties, I would be a rich man right now! Party The difference in the Gretsch sound lies mainly in their use of diecast rims. People will also argue about the un-reinforced Jasper shells as being the difference...but I think it has less of an effect than the diecast rims. Other than those rims, all the other contemporaries of that time used reinforced shells and triple flange rims...Slingerland's top flange was reversed to form the infamous "stick saver" shape, but they were basically the same mass as Ludwig's and Rogers' triple flange rims.

Gretsch aslo cost a little more than other drums because the diecast rims are quite a bit more expensive than triple flange. More cost = More prestige (to some). Like, "Who is capable of owning the most prestigious kit" -only the BEST drummers, of course!D' Drummer

That's my 2 cents of the subject. Violin

To recap: Diecast rims were/are the difference in the sound of Gretsch drums.

Some say that since the round badge drums weren't vented, they sounded different. Maybe it was a combination of all the above. But, what it boils right down to is that someone liked the tone of some drums one day and said, "Wow, those Gretsch drums sound great!"

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Hi

I bought a new Gretsch kit in 1969 and played them in a number of bands until the mid 70's. I was not satisfied with my Gretsch snare. I traded it for a Premier 2000 around 1973. However; I sold the complete kit (5 piece) including 7 Zildjian cymbals, Asba (Caroline) pedal - soft cases and all for $950 in 1976. I wish I had that kit today! I haven't played since 1976, but have recently (May 10th) ordered a new Gretsch shell pack - it should be here by mid September - can't wait!

I loved playing my Gretsch drums - but I clearly remember not liking the snare (hardware too was bad).

Cheers,

Kona

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm another negative on the Gretsch snares. Kits were fab (have played on but never owned) but I owned (admittedly an early 80s) 6 1/2" deep wooden snare and I could only ever get one tuning out of it and that tunes wasn't particularly great. And I parted with a very nice Camco COB to be able to afford it at the time, a decision I've regretted ever since.

Also been in a rehearsal room recently using a borrowed kit including a Gretsch 5" metal snare (again, early 80's I think) and it really is a stinker.

All respect for the other stuff though.....

Posted on 17 years ago

ALL..... Appreciate the feedback regarding the Gretsch snares. Apparently, my local "experts" aren't the only ones who weren't impressed with "That Great Gretsch Sound"; in reality, it was just the contrary!Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

The only Gretsch in the fleet here is a 6-shooter as well.

Mine is a round badge #4105 "Dixieland" from the late 50's.

A combination of an un-reinforced maple shell with great sweeping snare

beds, minimal lug contact and die-cast hoops produce a bang that's unbelievable.

The ups and downs of the Gretsch company resulted in really hit or miss quality throughout the decades however.

I've played kits ( round and stop sign badge ) that were a mix of awesome and awful. That was a big problem for a while.

And if they go out of round, you've got a planter on your hands.

A gold plated 4160 would be a heckuva score, though...

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

Gretsch snares can sound boxy,but i think due to the 42 strand wires.They,re just not neccessary imo.Also,there is nothing magical about Gretsch drums,now thier guitars...thats a different storyCool

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

I have a 4157 model 14 x 5 wood shell that sounded dreadful until I sorted out the snare bed. When I got it in the 1980s it was cut like a rough slash with a rasp into the edge about as wide as the snares and about 1/4" deep. Now that is fine for a calf head but no good at all for anything else. In desperation I took it to George Potters happily nearby in Aldershot who do all the drums for the British Army and have done for about 150 years. They recut the snare bed so it is now a very gradual dishing starting midway between the lug nearest the snare and the next one along, about 9" or 10" in an barely visible arc. This sorted things out and now I use it for bebopish stuff with Puresound snares along with my later 1970s 18x14, 14x4, 12x10 Gretsch kit. I like "that gretsch sound" as you can really hit them hard and they never stop giving a good sound. I think the cast hoops have something to do with it - they do kind of thicken the sound. I have a 1965 Ludwig Downbeat too with a totally different sound that I also love which is far better for louder types of music.

Posted on 17 years ago

I concur re: the snare drums, I never liked the sound of Gretsch snare drums...I do hear that the bass drums and toms sound good and are sought after...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Gretsch snares can sound boxy,but i think due to the 42 strand wires.They,re just not neccessary imo.Also,there is nothing magical about Gretsch drums,now thier guitars...thats a different storyCool

Yes, indeed, wayne. I remember thinking "Why?" when I saw those gigantic snare wires!

42-strand on anything is overkill, imo.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here