Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

"restor-a-finish"

Just wondering if any of you have tried a product by Howard Products, Inc. called "Restor-A-Finish" on any of your natural wood (mahogany, maple, ebony, walnut) shells? I'm talking about natural wood finishes that were never covered with plastic wraps. Glue/adhesive removal then would not be an issue.

This product is allegedly a one-step process that restores the wood to its original color and blends out minor scratches and blemishes.

It's also supposed to be able to address color fade and oxidation without removing any of the existing finish. The company also recommends NOT using polyurethane on top of the Restor-A-Finish as the finish will not dry properly. They do suggest, however, the application of a coat of Howard "Feed-N-Wax" to protect and maintain the restored finish.

It sounds fairly simple and to the point.

Any testimonials regarding this product that anyone would like to submit?

OR............Do you happen to have a better suggestion for the restoration of a "natural wooden shell" that's got it's share of scrapes, scratches and scuffs plus some color fade?

Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated!Bowing

Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

I've used it on furniture and wood speaker cabinets with great sucess. I do follow up with the feed and wax, which also does a great job. It can't fix major problems (deep scratches, etc) but it does work on things like small scratches, worn finish, discoloration, minor water rings.

Noting all that, I don't know how it will work on drum shells. But I wouldn't think that it would be that much different. My fear is that once you use it, it might cause problems with future attempts at refinishing - don't know if it would or not. But since it is a product that kinda is a stain and soaks into the wood, I wonder if it could make uneven color in the wood if you were to ever sand them down later.

Plus I don't love the fact that you can't poly over it. The wax puts a great shine on it, but doesn't deter scratching of the wood like poly would.

Posted on 14 years ago

I just sent a few questions to the tech help for Howard Products. I'll pass on their replies...

- Current restoration Project: Geo Way 5 piece
- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 14 years ago

I got a response from the Howards' guy regarding the potential "seapage" issue:

"The oils in Restor-A-Finish will come out of the wood if the paint remover is applied over it and then the wood is sanded."

BTW: Eric Howard sent a quick and very thorough response to my questions regarding how he would approach dealing with my vintage project. I recommend you send him any questions you may have about the products.

Jeff

- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 14 years ago

I use "Scott's Liquid Gold" on both my natural and walnut finish wood Slingerlands. It's an oil poduct that soaks into the wood to help restore it. Helps cover scratches, restores the look and color, helps preserve the wood, and makes it all nice and shiney. It also works well to clean and shine the chrome. Easy to use as you can wipe down both the shell and lugs all at the same time!

You can get it at Walmart or K-Mart or other such store. Here is their website:

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/scotts-liquid-gold/

It did wonders to an old Walnut finish Slingerland bass drum I just restored. The drum came to me very dry and faded. I restained it with Minwax redoak stain as I have found that to be almost an exact match to the slightly reddish brown color that the Slingerland Walnut finish will fade to after time. I then applied the "Scott's Liquid Gold" and the drum looks like new again matching my other shells perfectly!

I don't like to polyurathane the drums after I refinish them as they end up being too glossy as compaired to my other shells that are 40 plus yeas old and have natually lost their shine. Just wipe them all down with the "Scott's Liquid Gold" once a week and it keeps the wood conditioned, the chrome shiney, and the entire drum looking great!!

Early 60's WMP Slingerland Model 1N "Krupa Kit" 9X13, 16X16, 16X18, 14X22, 1956 WMP Student Radio King.

Early 70's Walnut Slingerland "Mini Krupa Kit" 8X12, 14X14, 16X16, 14X22, 1955 Mahogany 4X13 "Junior" snare with tube lugs & 3 point strainer.

Late 70's Maple Slingerland 6-8-10 concert toms, 8X12, 9X13, 10X14, 16X16, 16X18, 2 - 14X22, COB Krupa & COW Rich snares.

Working on a 70's Maple Slingerland 8X12, 15X15, 16X18, 14X22, "nesting" kit, 1958 Maple Student Radio King.

jags
Posted on 14 years ago

Jeff could you maybe send me what Eric wrote you. I am in the process of taking a couple old all wood snares and strip all the paint off them. I also do not want to wreck the wood/shell. Thanks a lot!

Posted on 14 years ago

email sent..

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I just finished using the "Restor-A-Finish" and "Feed-N-Wax" on a pretty beat-up LA Camco shell. I've attached a few pics of the finished product. I'm very satisfied with the results.

I've got several Chanute, KS Camco shells in the Walnut finish that I'm going to be working on next. Based on the results I've achieved on the LA Camco shell (which was a much darker finish than the Chanute shells) I'm not sure whether I should work the Chanute shells with the Walnut "Restor-A-Finish" or try the Mahogany "Restor-A-Finish over the Walnut shells to try to match the LA shell.

The last pic shows the finished LA shell (lower right in pic) next to the "not-yet-worked" Chanute walnut shells.

Ah....................decisions, decisions!

Posted on 14 years ago

WOW! Cool1 That looks great. Like I said, I have used it on furniture with great results. But that really makes the shell light up. The Wax and Feed is good stuff. Nothing in there that can do long term harm like other waxes.

Posted on 14 years ago

OS, that came out looking good! Do you have before and after pics?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here