Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

"quick And Easy"

Hi,

Just about all of the local "drum gurus" that I've spoken with concerning vintage American-made drums swear that an identical 14 x 14 floor tom is worth much more than its 16 x 16 counterpart in the same condition.

Is this true?

If so, what is the reason for the disparity in the value between the two?

THANKS!

Posted on 16 years ago

Yep. It does seem to be true at the moment. I think the main reason is due to the amount of them that were produced. In other words, I think there are far more 16 X 16's available than there are 14 X 14's.

Smaller-sized kits are currently in style.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

At 6'4" and 225 lbs I look a bit like Godzilla sitting behind a smaller kit.

I'll stick with my 22/13/16

Posted on 16 years ago

One word, ..........rarity. Ok, two words....... popularity. Rare will always command value, as long as it has a desirability factor. But when you have RARE and POPULAR together, an item will significantly increase in value. For instance, a really prime Rogers 16x16 in 1965 Sparkling Silver Pearl..... might hit 350-450 on a good day. A 14x14 in the same finish, and prime.... +1000.00, several have recently sold above a grand, with one at 1475.00 plus shipping on Ebay.

If you get lucky and are hooked up with a 14 any where under those prices, its a good deal. If you are the lucky dog that picked up the Rogers 14 from the recent Chicago (i think) craigslist offering at 40.00, it would have been a good day to buy lotto tickets too.

I paid 3 bills for my Rogers 1966 Sparkling Blue Pearl 14x14. It has some minor issues, but is clean and worth much more than I gave for it. The guy looked at me like...... I got a live one, Sucker....... and me. ... well, I looked at him and thought, Thick, really thick. I drove a hundred miles for that drum.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

PLOUGHMAN:

Since you're obviously familiar with vintage Rogers drums, perhaps you could respond to my post regarding the "correct" rims for early 60s Rogers toms.

THANKS in advance for your consideration!Help2

Posted on 16 years ago

ALL:

I'm enjoying the feedback. The reason I submitted the post is that an acquaintance of mine has got a 1965 Slingerland Satin Flame floor tom in a 14 x 14 configuration and he's wondering what it might be worth.

I initially told him that I thought it would be worth more than the common 16 x 16 configuration but then I thought that I might have misspoken (which I've been known to do). I thought I'd check with the "experts" and then get back to him.

He's actually got an entire satin flame kit. I originally thought that the finish on the kit was the Slingerland Blue Satin Flame, which I played in the early 70s. However, after checking the Slingerland site offered here, I'm starting to believe that his kit actually might be the Slingerland Green Satin Flame, which actually looks more like an Aqua Marine to me than any shade of green.

Regardless of the finish, he's trying to get an idea of what it might be worth.

THANKS AGAIN for the feedback!

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

PLOUGHMAN:Since you're obviously familiar with vintage Rogers drums, perhaps you could respond to my post regarding the "correct" rims for early 60s Rogers toms.THANKS in advance for your consideration!Help2

Anything produced before 1964 ....... from the 50s to 1963-4 should have High Hoops. There were early beavertail drums with high hoops.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

ALL:I'm enjoying the feedback. The reason I submitted the post is that an acquaintance of mine has got a 1965 Slingerland Satin Flame floor tom in a 14 x 14 configuration and he's wondering what it might be worth.I initially told him that I thought it would be worth more than the common 16 x 16 configuration but then I thought that I might have misspoken (which I've been known to do). I thought I'd check with the "experts" and then get back to him.He's actually got an entire satin flame kit. I originally thought that the finish on the kit was the Slingerland Blue Satin Flame, which I played in the early 70s. However, after checking the Slingerland site offered here, I'm starting to believe that his kit actually might be the Slingerland Green Satin Flame, which actually looks more like an Aqua Marine to me than any shade of green.Regardless of the finish, he's trying to get an idea of what it might be worth.THANKS AGAIN for the feedback!

If that kit is for sale, I know someone looking for that exact kit. Let me know. Rich

Posted on 16 years ago

Rich K:

If you could PM me and provide your email address I can give you some additional information regarding the kit, based on my observations over the week-end.

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here