Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

"Original" Rogers Bass Heads, Coated Ambassadors??

Just curious if a Rogers set, from approx. 1968 to 1971, came from the factory with Ambassadors on both bass sides? Buying new heads for an old set of mine, and want to keep as close to original as possible. I think all original stock heads were coated Ambassadors, EXCEPT for the Diplomat head on the Dyna Sonic top, and hazy Amassador on the snare side. Sound right??

Also, anyone know where I can buy a felt beater like my set came with??

Posted on 16 years ago

You got it! Rogers shipped with coated ambassadors all around except the Dyna and possibly (I'll look into that) other snares. I'm a little confused when people refer to "hazy" ambassadors. My Dyna, bought new in 64, came with a clear ambassador snare side. I've never heard of a "hazy" head (except mine:confused: ). All the Dynas I've seen had clear Ambassador snare side.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah, beats me about this "hazy" stuff too, just read it somewhere. Though my snare has the original snare side head on it (says Rogers on it), and it looks a little "hazy." Might be the age. Had it since about 1969 or 70. I wanna get this right, as I'm likely ordering all these heads on line.

Posted on 16 years ago

Chuck!...

The clear/hazy resonant side heads can be confusing. A lot has to do with the manufacturer. Today, the Remo snare sides/resonant, are hazy. The Aquarian resonant/snare side that I have on three of my Dynasonics are CRYSTAL CLEAR... it all depends on the manufacturer. Now, another little item for you:

The original snare side/resonant head is still on my 1963 Rogers COB/7 line Dynasonic. Printed on the head is: Weatherking A-1 Rogers And, it's a HAZY Ambassador... so there you have it!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Just what exactly is a hazy head compared to a "normal" head?

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Michael!

The hazy head is referring to the CLARITY and/or TRANSPARENCY, or lack thereof, on the bottom/resonant snare drum heads that different compnies offer today. The Remo heads are almost ALL hazy, as in: You can see through them, but not clearly. The Aquarian's are crystal clear... like looking through glass. Ludwig heads are crystal clear. Attack heads were crystal clear back when I was using them... but I haven't played those in many years so I don't know if they are different now. And so on...

Have a look at your resonant/bottom snare head. Depending on brand, it may be CLEAR... or HAZY. The mil thickness of the mylar is pretty standard though, company to company, although I'm sure there are exceptions here and there. Regardless, resonant/bottom snare side heads aren't very thick, they have to be thin so they will excite easily when moved by the air column after the drum is struck.

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here