Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

"NEW" Slingerland Question

Hey y'all,

First I appreciate all the info I've received here at the VDF and it's been a great source for broadening my drum knowledge. I'm getting there but having trouble with my latest find. I bought a set of maple Slingerlands and the badge and serial number are hard to find as well as the model/line. I have a 22/12/16 kit I just bought and I believe they are 90's Slingerlands. Not much info on these but I believe they are from the HSS era. They look like 5 ply with some mahogany in the middle layers. The badge is black and brass and says Slingerland USA but I don't believe they are USA made. The serial number is off the chart in the 900,000 range. Maple on the outside as well as the interior. Very sharp bearing edges. Does any one know what the model/year is and about how much the original price was? They really do sound good though the FT is fairly hard to tune.

I include a couple of pics.

many thanks,

V

Posted on 15 years ago

First, nice kit. I love that natural maple look.

Second, I believe these are from the 80's HSS era. They look to be an Artist Series in Natural Maple. I'm looking at the floor tom leg box, the finish, and the tag. All point to 80's Korea shells. If you are correct in the shell i.d. as being maple and mahogany, it would fit. HSS Artist Series shells were 5 ply maple and mahogany. These were actually made in Korea but they sounded pretty good. This is not a bad kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey mcjnic,

Thanks for the info. I read in the Slingerland book they are highly regarded by some players but they couldn't have sold a lot of sets and especially in Canada cause I've never seen another. These came from a sound engineer who used them for a lot of recording- he said they were straight up great for mic-ing etc. Strange nowhere does it say MIK! The Slingerland USA tag kinda implies it made in the US. Another strange thing I noticed is the 12" has two badges. One with a serial number and one without. Never seen two vent holes before on a 12". Any idea on the year? Say 1985? I wanted to get a new Slingerland kit but apparently it's easier to find the Holy Grail than a dealer! and no website too boot. I wonder how they stay in business. I swear by the Slingerlands and I took a chance on this kit but they sound good.

many thanks!

V

V

Posted on 15 years ago

I don't even know if Slingerland is still in business. Last I saw they were making ungodly expensive high end kits and generic low end kits and nothing else. Oh and 0 distribution.

Posted on 15 years ago

The wood was American wood sent to Korea to be made into shells. That's why the 'USA' tag. It was assembled in Korea. Anyway, these really do have a cool sound. Several Nashville cats played these in the studio.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here