Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

"Morphing" a Marching Drum Shell

Not really a restoration topic, but I am curious....

Does anyone have experience building a piccolo and a standard snare out of one marching shell? Most marching drums seem to be 15'", but there are some 14's I have seen lately on DuhBay.

Just thought this would be an interesting project, and possibly a better use of a marching shell that might not be fit for restoring to original.

Thoughts?

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Get one that is NOT 3 ply. If it's 5 or 6 ply with no rerings, it could be done simple enough. If you get one with rerings, you will have structural issues due to tensioning on the unsupported side. But, 5 or 6 ply is strong enough to handle it. It sounds like a seriously cool project.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you do do 3-ply, you'll have to ad your own re-ring. I have done this...it's a bit time consuming , and you need a sh#tload of clamps...but it was an interesting thing to do....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Trying to plot the thing out to utilize existing holes should be fun, too.

If possible, a natural finish with brass hardware is where I'm wanting to go.

I'm thinking an older model shell with pass-through rods might be a good candidate... just the one hole per lug that way......

Coffee Break2

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here