Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

"Frankenkit" Project

Finally pretty much finished off a project I've worked on over time whenever I didn't have more pressing projects.

A genuine "Frankenkit," 90% of which was made up of old, beat up, worn out, left-over, left-for-dead components. Yes, I've spent very little cash on this set... just stuff laying around from other purchases/projects.

The set consists of...

16x24 1980s Pearl Maple Shell COW Bass Drum

5.5x14 1960s/70s Slingerland COB 8 lug Snare Drum

10x14 1970s Ludwig Stainless Steel tom

Twin 10x16 1970 Ludwig Stainless Steel toms (as floor toms)

All of the Ludwig toms were "former" marching drums.

The stands for the most part are Pearl 70s/80s, and I've utilized newer Pearl ISS mounts for the toms.

I'll post more details and pictures as time allows...

3 attachments
Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice looking kit:-)Clapping Happy2

regards

Christian

Posted on 10 years ago

Cool kit Bill looks great~!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

What amazing work!!! How does it sound, sir? If it plays like it looks, it should sound great! Wow!!!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 10 years ago

Bass Drum Details...

16x24 -- 1980s Pearl maple shell Chrome-over-Wood wrap. It was scratched up pretty good, and took a LOT of cleaning and polishing. The previous owner cut two "port" holes, one on each side of the drum (why, I don't know... wouldn't port holes in the front head do the same?) Anyway, to not spend more money on a rewrap, I just used Pearl "tom trim" (for the bottom of single-headed marching toms) to give it more of a "finished" look. Sounds fine. You might notice the hoops aren't Pearl (Pearl used metal hoops in this era), but actually off a 60s Slingerland bass drum. The spurs are newer Pearls, and the lugs and the claws are all 70s Pearl. The T-rods on the kick side are 70s Pearl, and on the front are 80s/90s Pearl.

Heads are just some used ones I had in stock. I did put new white Gibraltar felt strips on both front and back.

I covered up where the old tom mount was with Pearl's current double-mount cover.

I put this bass drum together WITHOUT spending an extra dime. All stuff I had laying around in my shop from previous purchases and projects.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 10 years ago

From salty 1322

What amazing work!!! How does it sound, sir? If it plays like it looks, it should sound great! Wow!!! Brian

The bass has a deep, punchy sound, if that makes sense.

The snare sounds great. The first time I'd worked on/with one of these. I'll share some more details on the SD and some pictures soon.

The toms are amazing. I was always partial to the single-headed, concert tom type of sound anyway, and had always preferred the Pearl FG shells of the 70s. But these are GREAT! I'll share some more pics and details on the toms sooner-or-later as well.

Thanks!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 10 years ago

Bill - That kit right there is the perfect gigging kit for any Rock drummer! I'll bet it's loud and punchy and you wouldn't have to worry about the occasional 'spilled beer.' Hit those with a red, blue, or green spot-light on-stage and they'd look killer.

Nice job on those.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Yes, it looks a great kit to gig with.. I (still) like that 24" BD..

I also replaced 70's Pearl metal hoops with Ludwig wood ones.. tuned and sounded heaps better.. IMO..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

Sorry for the typo on the original post. The BD is 16x24 and not 16x26.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice work Bill, as usual!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here