Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

"Collectible"

Some people are collectors of drums just for the sake of collecting. Many times people who collect don't really even care that much about the object as much as they care about finding the object and then possessing it.

I consider myself kind of a collector -a "recovering" collector! ;) What I mean is that, for awhile there a few years ago, I was glued to Ebay...waiting for that 12 X 18 Jazzette kit to turn up...and then somehow, like a miracle, it all came together and I had the exact kit I had been dreaming of. But, prior to finding that dream kit, I had also made a few other purchases...kits, cymbals, snare drums, hardware...you name it. The next thing I knew, I had antique "toy" kits, drum memorabilia of all kinds...stuff that I really didn't even think to own...but had come to know as being "collectible" items.

For example: I saw an old Zickos fiberglass kit on Ebay several years ago. It was not the clear acrylic kind of drums that are usually associated with Zickos. No, these drums were made from the same type of fiberglass/resin composit that lightweigh boat hulls are made from...the itchy kind of fiberglass that you find in insulation. The shells were shaped like mixing bowls with the bottom heads being a couple inches smaller in diameter than the batter head side. Apparently, there were very few kits like this and they looked extremely weird and...well..I wanted them. When I got the kit, it was in pretty rough shape -filthy dirty like it had been sitting outdoors....but no damage to the structure since it was all waterproof. The drums cleaned up and I put them together and tuned them up and....HORRIBLE!What an awful sound, in my opinion. But, there I was with this "collectible" thing that I couldn't wait to sell. I thought I would make a decent profit on the kit because I had paid very little for it, but when I went to sell it, I just barely broke even on the deal.

Even though it had been a fairly rare and collectible kit, it was just too weird for most people. Ironically, the same kit showed up a few months later and sold for about double...so, go figure! :)

Is it the weirdness factor that makes things that aren't old, collectible?

What about drums that are not really "vintage" drums but are still collectible? I'm thinking specifically about those Peavey RadialPro 1000 kits? Those drums HAVE to be collectible...right? Which drums are modern day collectible drums that will be the candidates to hold their value of gain in value over time? I realize these would all be just predictions. Thanks!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I think this kind of thing happens with almost all drummers, except the ones that arnt into gear. Luckily I've learned to restrain myself, but when you are half awake at night and you bid for something useless like a fake kids drum the next morning really gets me with buyers remorse. Also who wants negative feedback on ebay? So I've had the same experiences but luckily havnt done anything to stupid...yet :)

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Oops I noticed I didnt answer any of your questions. I think "protoype" like drums are what could make modern day drums collectable. Or the "limited edition of 6000" could always make it collectable. I think the premier reissue of kieth moon's pictures of lily kit will be fetching the big bucks..unless they decide to bring a new one out every 5 years. The first gibson slingerland's im sure could get some cash in the next 10 years. Im not totally sure just guessing but thats what I predict.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Sometimes I buy gear I used to own just out of sentiment. Most of the time I can't afford to buy back what I used to own sentiment or sound. It amazes me how stuff I considered junk and barely functional 30 years ago fetches 10 times the original price today. I suspect not much will change in another 30 years. Whatever survives will have some collectable value. Possibly drums won't be made of wood in 2036.Mind Blowi

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

Trixon is another example of a collectible drum...AND a vintage drum as well...but the collectibility is based more upon (again) the weirdness factor. The Speedfire kits were about as weird as anything that's ever been built in the world of drums...and those other Trixon conical ones, too -they are very cool, but I have never EVER heard a good report about how they sound...and I have also heard that the components weren't very durable...which makes finding a set of them in good condition, very rare...and THAT fact increases their collectible value even more!

I think I might disagree about the "limited edition drums" -simply because I think the whole idea of designing a new drum to be made specifically to be a collectible is a waste. Most of those drums were built after the fact that all the parts were cast in Taiwan....so there really will never be all that much distinction with them -other than their decorative qualities.

Old drums were never made with any thought they would become future collectibles, but many drums that have been made in the last decade or so have been specifically to be that. Weird, huh? :)singer

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

My name is Jay and I am a drumoholic.....lol. With me and my kits its not just wanting and having the drums.I do care very much for the instrument and the history there of.So when i'm on a buying spree ( which I do from time to time ) or if i'm on a good luck kick and manage to find gear for free ( which happens more often than not matter of fact ) its not always about " is this collectible and worth money ) as we all know I am a huge stencil guy.Most of the drums aren't really worth anything but for me its like heaven in a round wooden shell,lol. And I always play all of my kits...aside from my main kit all my kits are on shelves and many are dis-assembled for storage space.But I still break one out a week just to play it.And on my free gear subject last week I got a 4 piece Maxwin kit in perfect condition.12",13",16",and 22" shells. ( I have enough snares ) but this kit I am passing on to my singer's younger brother who needs a kit to play shows with.So he is getting not the best kit ever but a kit thats decent enough to last him a few years.But also with the kit came two 70's Ludwig concert toms 14" and 16".Also both in great condition.And since I have a 20" 70's Ludwig silver sparkle bass drum with no matching toms I have myself a new quick project.I think I need to start a thread on all my freebies and good deals and how I come across them...its knowledge to share.Ok yea now that i've steered way of this threads topic i'm gonna stop here,lol.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 17 years ago

The weirdness factor- that visual effect, is probably one of the strongest motivations for a collector. Celebrity endorsements, maybe also. Signature sticks even. What about the cymbals from Factory Metal? Can't comment on their sound because I haven't heard one, but the weird visual effect is there. I'm certain there's so much more. I wonder what Neil Peart's signature Sabian set will be worth in time? More? or less? Less in 10 years but then 5x in 20? Any predictions?

Posted on 17 years ago

Sweet thread O Lugs, I was thinking about this the other day, while, I was on Ebay. I have seen the Vistalite kits, with the Tivoli lights, go for $3000. Not to long ago, you couldn't give this kit away. I have a vistalite kit, it's cool, but, it's far from my best sounding drumset, why $3000 for one with lights that might not work? Personally, I think "vintage" drumsets sound better, and when I pick one up, I play them. A lot! It's hard for me to understand the collector that will not play their gear, what's the point? Money? I would bet that most of the readers of this site take great care and pride in their drumsets, so, the chances of damaging a "vintage" drumset would have to be real low. Play them drums!

On the topic of funky collectable drums, how about North drums? Look cool, not a big production run, sound awful, and I have seen them go for crazy prices. Why? I have wondered about those Trixon saggy bassdrums, too, they looked like a squished oranged. Simmons pads? Someone is paying too much for pads that hurt real bad when you hit them. Remember Paiste Color sound cymbals? I must have broken 3 of them before I gave up on them! Looked great, but, couldn't handle a 5a stick or thicker. "Lens drums", more cowbell than drum, every producer that I played that thing for would freak out. Can you imagine bringing in a North drumset to record on? The producer might drink themselves to death!

ps..I love ARCHxANGEL's line "My name is Jay and I am a drumoholic.....", I can relate.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 17 years ago

[LEFT]Interesting points on this topic and I have to tackle it from a few different angles, firstly I have sold tons of different items on Ebay to a variety of different types of collectors. Dolls, trains, knives, vintage advertising and so on...

To the collector it is a craft they have developed over time and they seek out the specific items they now must have in there collection. When I first started I was not very knowledgeable and I made purchases for drums that were more then they were really worth.

So until I honed my craft, I made some mistakes. So I think many things on Ebay are purchased from beginners thinking it is worth more then it really is

and then that might be a bench mark as what something might be worth when it really is not from a true collectable stand point.

So the person that purchased that second Zickos kit might have thought it was something more then it really was.

In regards to vistalites, that is an interesting topic in itself since there was an "Issue" with fake drums. This in my opinion dropped the market value and the true collectors that got burned stopped buying and the word got out about it and scared off a lot of people.

I can tell within a second or two after looking at a vistalite badge where the drum came from and if it was real or not. I learned that from getting burned and doing some intensive research and visual inspections and the many resources I have in the business.

So with that "delicate" topic done, in my opinion collectible is very personal for many collectors and what one collector would tolerate on an item others would not. What I look for in a drum now where I'm at in the business would be closer to what the bigger collectors are looking for.

You see, I get many emails every week asking about this "old drum" that someone purchased and they want to know how much to insure it for, or how much it is worth.

What they see with the limited knowledge is an old drum that looks collectible that in fact is worth about $100. I hate to let people down, but I understand that a beginning collector has to go through that process of learning.

I would say also that collectors can be focused or not and I'm personally not focused on one drum company, finish, style or depth of a drum and tend to purchase based on lots of factors. Other collectors will fine tune their collecting and stay with one company, one size and or one factor that they have to have with a drum.

I think at this point the items I'm looking for on Ebay are selling for way more then I can afford and or want to pay, so they are collectible and the collectors are finding them and the market is healthy.

Also, since I look at many things, I'm also competing against the collectors that are fine tuned into their list of must haves and I also can't compete with that as well.

At this point in time my collection has focused on literature and the odd stuff, post cards, letters for any drum company or drummer. I only wish I could focus on one thing and then I would probably not have so much stuff and I surely would have never started this web site!!

Thanks

David

[/LEFT]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here