Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Quick Funny

So my kid had a gig last night, house drummer for an open band jam night. He plays his first set, then the first jam band comes up, moves all his kit around, then the second jam band comes up, moves more of his kit around...mind you, these were older drummers..50's + . My kid is like, "Dad, I never move anyone's kit on a jam night." Long story short, when he gets back up to play his second set and reset his kit, the first thing he says is, "Man they put dents in my snare head!!!", "Dad, they put 9 dents in my snare head and one in my tom head." Struck me as funny that the tables turned where the kid is worried about not wanting someone mess up his stuff.

I did tell him that's why we don't bring the vintage stuff for jam nights.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Man, that is not funny.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

I missed the "funny" part of that, evidently. It's a shame for your son's kit and for the older drummers to not know better by now. I hope your son learned his lesson--don't offer your kit for a jam session if you care about it!

My first kit was subject to a couple of jam sessions. I have always been careful to avoid "tom rash" on the bass drum...other drummers don't seem to care, though. Lesson learned!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago

I guess what struck me as funny is that normally the older drummers are worried about kids playing on their kits, last night was the other way around. We tried to be really cool about them moving everything around, but I had to really bite my tongue when the drum key came out and then one them had to use his own pedal too....guess the dw5000 wasn't quite good enough.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

From GoneDrumming

I guess what struck me as funny is that normally the older drummers are worried about kids playing on their kits, last night was the other way around. We tried to be really cool about them moving everything around, but I had to really bite my tongue when the drum key came out and then one them had to use his own pedal too....guess the dw5000 wasn't quite good enough.

I use an older beat up ludwig kit on a jam nite when I host. My rules are, you can adjust it any way you want, but you have to use the hardware that is there and don't EVER try to retune the drums. You do and you literally get yanked off of the kit. Also, the club requires that the band control its volume, so smaller jazz sticks are provided and encouraged to be used, but if you want to you your own sticks (as long as they are not 2Bs or marching bats! LOL!) you can. As far as dented heads....this is why I use emperors on the jam kit....they rarely get changed out, but thats because I know they will get dented anyway. Also, I have some older Zildjian A's that sound horrible that I don't really care about if they do get damaged.

Moral: use old beat up crap for jams because if you bring a nice kit, the bashers will kill it because they have no respect for other drummers gear. I wonder how those guys would feel if you treated their kit that way?

Posted on 15 years ago

Good advise - I think I will pull out his Accents from now on for Jam night.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Good advise - I think I will pull out his Accents from now on for Jam night.

Not a bad idea.....maybe some Sabian B8's or cheaper Paistes or Sabian XSs would be advisable too if he cares about his normal cymbal setup too....

Posted on 15 years ago

He has some ZBT's that he can take instead of his K's.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

From GoneDrumming

He has some ZBT's that he can take instead of his K's.

He brought K's???!!!????Eye Ball man he's living dangerously! LOL!

Posted on 15 years ago

Uggg...didn't even think about those being dinged...oh man, I don't even want to go and look in the bag. They are his, he saved his money to get them..I really hope they are not jacked.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here