Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Quick & Easy Ludwig Question

Hi,

Looking for a quick answer to assure that I buy the correct Ludwig throw.

Would a 1965 Ludwig snare drum, drilled for the baseball bat style muffler, come with a RED felt pad or a WHITE felt pad?

Thanks in advance for your help!D' Drummer

Posted on 16 years ago

A 1964 would have come with a red felt muffler. An EARLY 1965 may have come with a red felt as well. They did, however change to white felt that very year (1965). Knowing Ludwig, there were probably "transitional" drums that got sent out with the last remaining red felt BB's. What does the stamp date indicate as far as "early" or "late" 1965?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey, O-Lugs!

THANKS for the quick response (as usual).

The stamp inside the shell is dated AUG 1965 in red.

OldSchool

Posted on 16 years ago

Interesting! I would have guessed a white felt by then, but I still wouldn't rule out the likelyhood of your drum being original. It was probably just one of those transitional drums. The red ink stamp is consistent to what my 1964 Pioneer has -red felt and red ink.

Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs:

I believe the wrap's original, since it's actually "tucked" into the shell as I've been informed Ludwig did with their original wraps.

Do you believe a white or red felt muffler would be appropriate in this case?

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

"Appropriate" would be consistent with what Ludwig was known for during transitional periods -inconsistencies! Red ink and red felt would sound right...but, like I say, Ludwig switched over to white felt sometime in 1965, so either one could be appropriate!

believe me when I tell you...I am researching some information about Ludwig at the moment and I am finding many inconsistencies already -too long to explain here.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Would a 1965 Ludwig snare drum, drilled for the baseball bat style muffler, come with a RED felt pad or a WHITE felt pad?

I would go with white, which is what your Snare probably had when it rolled out of Ludwig's N. Damen Street Factory back in '65................

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here