Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Questions RE: '59 Transition badge Ludwig Super Classic kick drum

Hi,

So I have acquired a '59 Super Classic kit, and I am looking to replace the brackets for the spurs, and the spurs themselves on the kick drum. The drums are in great shape, but some of the hardware pieces have seen better days, so they will be removed or replaced. I am having a hard time finding solid information about what brackets will fit the existing holes as well as accompanying spurs. On the '59 model, the brackets were mounted at an angle which makes this even more challenging. Ideally I would not enlarge any existing holes or have to drill new holes into the drum, so if anyone here has run across this and can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly. Here is one of the spurs with part of the bracket still attached.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/hawkingvsreeve/IMG_0254.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 11 years ago

Just put clip on spurs on the front BD hoop...problem solved.

no extra holes/increased resonance!Walking

Chewie:

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

How do those hold up, durability wise? Any chance to warp the hoop from the stress?

Posted on 11 years ago

hoop mounts work fine. thats all they used in the early days. ive got two bass drums that use the spurs that you have there. they work just fine for me too.

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

From hawkingvsreeve

How do those hold up, durability wise? Any chance to warp the hoop from the stress?

What color is your BD?

I have one same year/brand in a 22" Red Sparkle if you are interested in making a double bass kit.....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

It's a white marine pearl finish. I wouldn't even know what to do with a second kick though.

Posted on 11 years ago

I figured I would update this just in case anyone else out there is searching for answers or is in the same situation.

I ended up keeping the same brackets, but bought new legs. The legs that come with this kit have a channel cut out of them where the horizontal end at the top of the leg fits into the bracket. The set screw you can see in the photo can be tightened with an allen wrench to drive the screw, but as this is both inconvenient and the legs themselves were worn in the channel resulting in poor performance, I got the new legs.

The Danmar legs that I bought are slightly larger than the original ones, however, even though they are advertised as being exactly the same size. I ended up having to pry up the end of the bracket with a screwdriver to fit the legs inside, and the set screw is no longer needed, as the legs aren't coming back out without the screwdriver. I imagine as they are folded down to the drum and then re-setup the legs will wear to fit the bracket better, but that is going to be a while. In the meantime, the new legs are far more structurally sound, and no modifications to the drum were needed (thankfully).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here