Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Questions about Tama Rockstar DX line

I'm pretty much done putting my 1992 Tama Rockstar DX back into a functional state. Had to replace or repair a few things.

http://imgur.com/WDCKewO,IOslPYx,EDky3bw,D8k4BCQ#0

Click on next to see the 4 pictures.

- 2 x 22" bass drums

- toms: 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16

- 14: rockstar dx snare

- 5 cymbal stands with 2 extensions that you have to clamp to a regular stand.

- cymbals: 16" avedis zildjian custom crash

10" K splash

17" avedis Zildjian brilliant thin crash

17" K custom Dark China

20" Zildjian Earth ride

The set is in relatively good condition. It was played on regularly for around 8 years. Did some studio and a few dozen shows so it was moved around quite a bit. A few bumps here and there but overall nothing serious and overall pretty good condition I would say.

First off, do you guys know during what years the R* DX line was sold to the public? I've googled for this but to my surprise it's not an easy information to find. I bought mine in '92.

Also, could you guys give me a ballpark figure as to how much I could sell this thing?

Thanks.

Posted on 9 years ago

I want to say 1989 they started the DX or deluxe line, the rockstar came out 1986 to replace the Swingstar as the new Pearl Export fighter.

DX had real hi tension lug casings, "basswood" shells also known as Philippine mahogany. They featured a lot of upgrades over the standard rockstar drums but we're still a price point set. They had steel 8 lug snare drums, 8 lug bass drums with steel hoops, and wrapped finishes. They came only in Xtras sizes 8x8 10x10 11x12 12x13 13x14 14x15 15x16toms. 16x16 16x18 floor toms and 16x20,22 or 24 bass drums. Rockstar DX came with murcury single braced "stilt" cymbal stands.

The rockstar pro kits featured "see through" finishes (stain) a wood 10 lug snare and wood bass drum hoops with ten lugs.

Some time after the new Starclassic line was released rockstar DX AND PRO were dropped, rockstar were tiwanese and their drum sizes were the same as Pearl drums (10x12, 11x13 etc.) Artstar ES (espirit) was essentially the same as DX but with artstar lugs and plastic bass hoops.

Nobody wanted the deep heavy metal metallic finish drums anymore.

As far as price, that's a tough one. You need to find the right buyer.

Most guys on the vintage drum forum don't care for the deep shells. A lot of people cut down the Swingstar and other separate tension lugged drums, thank god for those one piece lug casings!

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 9 years ago

I had composed a long story about my 89 Rockstar DX's, but here is the answer to your question. Rockstars were Tama's entry-level drums at the time, and square dimension drums are not big sellers right now. Sell the cymbals separately and expect to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 for the drums. I bought my 5 piece set for $90.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. :)

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here