Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Questions about compiling an old Ludwig kit.

Currently, I've got a newer Ludwig 5 piece birch kit, but long for a vintage kit. While I'd love to be able to spring for a whole kit all at once, the only way I might be able to attain one would be one drum at a time. I would prefer to get a champagne sparkle 3 piece set, but would settle for silver or gold as well. I don't mind restoring them, and even if the finish doesn't quite match from drum to drum, that would be ok. I'm not looking for an investment, just a nice vintage kit to play, one that I wouldn't mind taking out of the house occasionally either.

My question is about woods and plys. Is there a certain year range I should look for to keep the shells similar? I'm hoping to find a 16x22, 10x13, 16x16. A nice warm sound would be best, maybe mahogany?

I see individual drums on eBay all of the time, but rarely do the owners know much about the wood. I probably need to get a Ludwig history book.

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 17 years ago

Hi.

Vintage Ludwig shells are commonly known as "3-ply" and they are the shells that give vintage Ludwig drums their unique sound. Ludwig used the 3-ply shells until the mid-70's or so and then they went to a different construction.

Basically, the vintage 3-ply shells are made from a core-ply of poplar wood with a thin veneer of either maple or mahogany for their inner and/or outer plies and they are reinforced with a solid maple reinforcement hoop at each end.

The old-style roundover bearing edges were also big contributors to the vintage sound.

Finding individual drums on Ebay shouldn't be a problem. It seems that's the way more and more drums are being sold -as opposed to selling complete/matched kits. If you're looking for a "player's" kit and not worried about matching the year or month the individual drums were made, then I would suggest try and find the drums with white-painted interiors and "basebal bat" tone controls and "keystone" badges -three good ways that indicate the shells are going to be legitimate 3-ply shells.

Champagne sparkle, silver sparkle and red sparkle are snapped up a lot faster than blue sparkle drums, btw.

I look at it like this: I like the vintage sound and I can usually find a matched kit on Ebay every week...with a high-end price of $1500.00...in great condition. Some don't sell at that price because people think it's too much for old drums....but by contrast, most new drums would cost a lot more and wouldn't sound nearly as good -to me.

You might do really well and snag some good individual drums that match up quite nicely...and you might save money that way...but consider the individual shipping costs, too, and be sure to only buy from someone with great feedback. Good luck!Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the reply O-lugs. I spent a great deal of time checking the net and eBay this afternoon. One thing I've also noticed, is that a lot of sellers on eBay are also removing all of the hardware from the drums as well and listing them seperate. I realize that might be a way for them to make more money, but it sure is a shame to see all of this stuff split apart. There are a couple of cool shells on eBay right now, but you gotta' wonder if your saving any cash after having to source lugs, hoops, legs, mounts, mufflers, etc.

Man, champagne sure looks sweet!

Posted on 17 years ago

Check out www.craigslist.org as well. I have found some sweet deals on there.

I feel ya on the vintage Ludwig kits. I own a 1962 and a 1970. I will not play anything but those anymore.

Here is my 1970 kit. A yard sale find for $200! Came with everything except a throne. Hard shell cases, cymbals, a good working Speed King pedal, stand, case for the stand, cymbals, etc and a wonderful Superphonic snare. The guy told me it was a late 60's kit but the badge says different.

[Attachment: 1263]

1 attachments
Dan
www.thebadmojoband.com
www.myspace/badmojoblues.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Well, so much for the old Ludwig dream for now. I purchased a 1966 Pearl President shell kit off eBay for $200. I've posted about it with pictures in the non-USA and Restoration sections. I've seriously got a lot of work to do!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here