Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Question Regarding Leedy Reliance Snare Drum

I'm spending a little time updating my snare catalog and want to assure that the information I incorporate is accurate.

I recently picked up a wooden Leedy Reliance Model snare drum with the round Elkhart, Indiana badge. The interior of the shell is stamped 4603 which, I believe, indicates that it was manufactured in March of 1946.

For some reason I'm terrible in determining the actual type of wood that makes up the shells on vintage drums. :confused:

I'd like to obtain this information to complete the cataloging process for this particular snare. I've included a pic of the bottom side of the shell, which also shows a detached batter side reinforcement ring which has since been repaired.

Any "words of wisdom" would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Well.....I'm no expert of Leedy drums by far, but.......of the three Conn-owned era Leedy/Leedy & Ludwig drums I own (I have two more on the way via ebay.....) I can tell you they are made of 3-ply maple/poplar/maple with thick solid maple reinforcement rings. One is a Leedy Elkhart from 1948, the other two are Leedy & Ludwig Elkhart from 1951 an 1952 respectively, all have white painted interiors, but you can tell it's maple by the grain on the interior, its smooth unlike mahogany. The outer ply was easy to tell once the old wrap was off. Too light in color (and again the grain) for it to be mahogany.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here