Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Question on Slingerland rims, lugs, strainers, and shields

In the last 60 years, has Slingerland ever changed the style of their standard streamline lugs and standard sticksaver rims? (Leaving out any of the weird stuff for special models they might have done.)

Are the lugs and rims dated on the lug or rim?

Are the shields from the middle 1950's (1955 to be exact) all metal engraving with no paint or is the shield metal with paint? If there is paint used on the shield, is the paint the standard black lacquer?

On the strainers, do the later model more expensive strainers mount the same way as the three point strainer using the same mounting holes as the three point strainer?

Posted on 18 years ago

The Slingerland Streamline lug came into use around 1936... There were different sizes/types of these, but for the most part they remained unchanged... until 1955 when Slingerland came out with the Sound King lug. This is the lug that is still in use to this day. Of interest is that Slingerland simply referred to this lug as the 1955 lug... it was later named the Sound King.

I have never seen a date on a lug or a rim... There certainly could be I suppose, but I have never seen a date on any of the Slingerland lugs/rims I have worked on.

The 1955 badge was in fact solid brass, engraved/embossed, and lacquered to prevent tarnish, no paint. This badge remained until 1959 and was replaced with the 1960 Slingerland badge which was Black ( paint ) and brass, no serial numbers.

I'm not exactly sure which strainer you are referring to, but all I have ever worked on/owned are the Radio King strainer ( three point ), The Super Strainer ( clamshell ), and the Zoomatic. I do have one TDR as well on a 1974 BR snare drum w/TDR, but that's different too. None of these share the same mounting system/holes.

Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you Tommyp for the excellent answers. If it is possible in words, what is the difference in the Radio King and Sound King lugs? Better still, is there a photo of the two side by side. If I do a restoration, I will save the old nickel hardware for collective value and replace the old nickel with newer lugs. Thank you again for the excellent post.

Posted on 18 years ago

Never mind, never mind.:)

Cool

I found the difference in lugs. The older pre-1955 lugs were not flared out at the point where the lug meets the shell of the drum. The newer lugs are flared out at the base of the lug where the lug contacts the shell.

Posted on 18 years ago

Why would you want to replace the lugs?? The hole spacing on new lugs is close, but not always exactly the same as on the older ones. You can polish up nickel nicely with cape cod polishing cloths (wear gloves). If this is your first restoration, remember that any modifying of the drum essentially ruins its re-sale value. Re-cut bearing edges, new finishes, extra holes are all things "restorers" later wish they hadn't done!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here