Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Question On Rogers Tom Muffers

Hello,just Have A Question On Rogers Muffers,a Friend Is Restoring A 60-4 Vintage Snare And Needs The Muffer,,,i Have Some But Some Have White And Same Have Black Flets, So What One Would Be The Right One This Drum ????or Are These The Same Years...thanks Mike

Posted on 16 years ago

MIKEY777!...

When you say 60-4, I assume that you mean 1964, yes? If that is the case... all the earlier Rogers muffler's/tone controls are black, and that would include 1964. I have Rogers snare drums dating from 1963 up to 1967, with two complete Buddy Rich kits within the same era as well, and ALL the muffler's/tone controls are black.

Rogers did switch to using white felt on the muffler/tone control, but I'm not exactly sure when, although on my first year of production 1973 Rogers SuperTen snare drum, the muffler/tone control felt is indeed white. The guy's that own/play the LATER Rogers drums would know exactly when the switch over was I'm sure.

On your friend's drum though, being a '64, it should be black!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Fullerton era introduced us to the white felt dampener. Post 1969.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Hello,thanks For The Input On The Muffers,i Was Not Sure What One To Sell To Him...i Do Have A Rogers Set That I Will Post Some Photos Of In The Next Few Days...its Not Like Any Other Set Of Rogers,the Lugs Dont Look Like Rogers[[rounded Looking Lugs]]but Is A Rogers Set..any Info...[[when I Post Photos]]thanks Mike

Posted on 16 years ago

Getting back to the Rogers' mufflers, if I may................

Is the knob on the Rogers' muffler larger on the floor toms than on the rack toms for those built in the late 50s - early 60s time period?

I ask this because I've seen mufflers that appear to have two different sizes of knobs.

THANKS in advance for your helpMallet Player2

Posted on 16 years ago

The 1950s eagle badge and odd script drum mufflers had a smaller exterior knob. Around 1960 the knob was larger but still had a black felt. Also there was no space between the muffler pad and the interior arm that it was mounted to. Late 1960s Dayton era still had a black pad but there was a cup like space between the black pad and the arm. I've seen late Dayton tagged drums with a white interior muffler pad. Same cup space for the pad. Fullerton interior mufflers had the white felt and the housing was attached to the drum shell with 2 screws but with out interior nuts. The internal parts were threaded to accept the outside screws. No nuts/lock washers needed to attach it to the shell. Attached pics. Hope this helps to understand. Peace, Gary

2 attachments
97.4 kB
86.7 kB
Posted on 16 years ago

Gary N.:

Appreciate the extremely detailed information provided!Cool1

OldSchool

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a muffler that doesn't fit all of the descriptions given so far. My muffler has black felt and a smaller adjustment knob. The knob is also not disk shaped like the mufflers on my Dayton era drums. This knob tapers on the underside toward the drum. The attachment screws are threaded through the internal housing and don't require a nut. There is also a small cup between the internal arm and the pad. Any ideas on the era of this muffler?

Thanks.. SC

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here