Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Question on Pearl ( yeah I know Rice)

I know you guys are mostly amemrican made collectors enthusiasts but I would like an honest answer if I may. Most of you read a post that I bought a 80ish pearl export kit to practice on with my band (we rehearse in a dirty warehouse and I hate bringing my Slingerland gigging kit there) anyway. I found an 80ish export all chrome for under $500. I was told this era was made better than the newer sets, so I bought it even though it had a fair amount of dents and scratches. Now I saw someone near me selling a NEW kit exactly like mine, just new, for $400. I believe the guy that sold me my kit would take it back if I asked him. Would I be better off with the new kit in great shape, or the vintage in poor shape. I might add that my hardware and all components from a structural view are sound. its only cosmetic. I appreciate your imput. thanks gary

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

You know, there are so many sets on CL of this grade. Most people are selling them off at around $200-350, maybe less to just get rid of them. I think that $400-500 is way to much to pay for any Pearl Export/Tama/CB 700 type stuff. You can get a practice set for much, much cheaper, in my opinion.

Also, I doubt there is much difference between the 80s Export and todays.

Posted on 14 years ago

I would check into those shells. There are some seriously nice shells out there now as the Chinese are putting out some nice stuff. I know this because I have the opportunity to get involved in purchasing shells from a maker in China and they are made from anything I want, in any configuration, with any grade of plies for really cheap. I can buy a container full for less than 7K, of any type I want. So I would go look at those new shells, they could possibly the new solid wood ones.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Exports are actually pretty good drums, old and new, in my opinion. Easy to get a good sound out of. I think they are the best selling series of drums for awhile now, so there are a ton of them out there.

They are making some now with maple shells, so I would try to find out exactly which Export series the new ones are; I think the maple ones are Export Select or something like that. Also, the newer ones have the ISS mounts, which aren't great, but they are therefore virgin shells. If it were me, I would probably go for the newer ones, if they are in great shape; there's no getting the scratches/dents out of that chrome wrap.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here