Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Question on Ludwig Snare

Hi everyone. Have been lurking a while, this is a great resource.

I have this old Ludwig snare I picked up years ago. I had assumed it was a '60's vintage until I did some poking around on the web. I've come to the conclusion it might be a late '20's based on what I've found. I was wondering if it is a '20's, and given it's condition, whether it's worth doing some repair work on it.

It's a 5" x 14", oval badge, gold sparkle (with pretty severe fading). The 10 tube lugs are original, but I don't have any other hardware for it. It appears to be a single-ply, with single-ply re-rings. There is a 3-digit number stamped inside.

There are four small extra holes drilled for a strainer (two per side), in addition to the (apparently) original three holes per side for the original strainer mechanism. The bearing edges are pretty beat up, and came to me like this. The interior is painted white. Additionally, there were some pretty decent tear-outs around the original strainer holes. The wrap is cracked in a couple of locations, around the (original) strainer holes. Finally, it's slightly (just barely) out of round.

So, my questions are: is this a indeed 20's vintage drum? Is it worth re-cutting the edges, or is this a cardinal sin? And what about re-wrapping it? Will doing any of this kill it's value? And what kind of value would the shell have as is?

Thanks!

[Attachment: 2215]

[Attachment: 2216]

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

I have no idea about that one. Mike Curotto would know, though. The flakes in the sparkle are kind of interesting. It's definitely not the hexagonal shaped flake that I am familiar with with my 60's era gold sparkle snare drum.

Re-edging, wrapping or "re" ANYTHING will diminish a drum's originality value as a collectible. But since there are already extra holes drilled into the shell, I wouldn't worry about the originality factor. If you want to sell it "as-is" (with chewed-up edges and all), then the badge and the lugs are probably worth something to somebody who might be looking for a parts-only drum.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Well, the Ludwig & Ludwig Drum Company (as indicated on the badge on your snare) got it's start in 1909. It was run by William & Theobald Ludwig. Theobald passed away in 1918 and his brother ran the company alone until 1929. At that time the company merged with or was sold to the C.G. Conn manufacturing company in Elkhart, Indiana.

I believe that your drum, then, was more than likely manufactured somewhere between 1918 and 1929. There's no way that it's a 60s snare.:)

Posted on 17 years ago

Whoa.

A "hold the boat" piece.

The badge indicates before the sale, in transition, etc.

My thought is to lovingly clean and tweak.

If you desire a "modern" drum, buy one...this girl deserves TLC and a

calf head set-up.

Beautiful!

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the input guys!

Nope, don't desire a modern drum (well, have several of those, anyway), just want to get an idea of what I shouldn't do to it :). I've always liked the look of the drum, just didn't realize until recently that it might have more history to it than I originally thought.

I guess I'll start looking for some hardware to return it to it's former glory!

Posted on 17 years ago

It's a '20s or early '30s drum. What are the numbers on the inside of the drum? There may be a clue as to the actual year and month the drum was made.

If you can post a picture of the holes for the strainer and butt side, we can possibly determine what model drum it is. The multiple holes may indicate the drum was a "super" or "super sensitive."

I would leave the finish as is...some of the old gold sparkle drums look much worse. If you don't want to find all the missing original hardware, which will be hard to find and expensive, you could make authentic looking with clip type rims and clips from drum foundry, drum supply house, precision drum company, or one of those other parts suppliers. (It's hard to tell, but if the lugs are gold plated, you could get those parts in brass, which would look pretty cool.)

It the edges are shot, and there are extra holes, having the edges done to make it a great player might be worthwhile.

It's a nice piece...would be a good restoration project.

Posted on 17 years ago

The lugs on it are chrome, and appear to be original. The numbers inside are "504", someone penciled in a "3" in front of the "5", seen in the picture.

I don't have a picture of the strainer holes, but can snap one tonight when I get home and post. It appears consistent with the super pictures I've seen, but I'm no expert.

[Attachment: 2222]

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Pretty sure the drum is from April, 1935. Soon after that drum was made, Ludwig and Ludwig switched to the Imperial lugs for their high end drums.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here