Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Question about superphonic snare.

I have an opportunity at what appears to be a superphonic 400 . It has a keystone badge with serial numbers that indicate that is a '66 era , it has p-83 stainer throw . The shell seems kinda light to me , it's defiantely not chrome over brass . Is this correct for this era . I could not find a shell material type other than " seemless metal " , in the guide . Size is 5" x 14" .

The only thing the drum does not sport is the dampner set , heads and wires .

What would one value a snare such as this , with the finish being very workable to new ? My price tag is $50 . I already put money on it , to hold it . And now I get to check it out.

Thanks

Ernie

Posted on 15 years ago

It is a seamless "ludalloy" shell. Ludalloy is a proprietary Ludwig aluminum alloy which is used on Supras/Acrolites and others. Dampeners were often removed on these drums because the player never used them. You can find dampeners on e-bay from time to time without any problem. Snare wires and heads are easily replaceable. Try Puresound for accurate vintage replacement wires.

At $50 this drum is a steal. Go for it. Value if chrome is in good condition as is would be around $200. With snare wires and correct dampener upwards of $300. Very nice drum. You should buy it. Good luck.

Posted on 15 years ago

snare wires = $30.00 or so

baseball bat muffler and assembly = $50 -75 or so

New heads = $30.00 or so

Your price = $50.00

Total = $160 -180

The P-83, alone, is worth $50-100.00

The shell is likely aluminum. They eventually called it "Ludalloy", but the "alloy" part was just due to it being impure aluminum, I think. There are different grades of metals, just FYI.

I think you did pretty good at that price.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I thought it may be ludalloy , just wasn't a sticker inside to prove it . I have been such a fan of Slingerland I just never bothered with Ludwig snares . I saw this sitting , and figured why not . I just thought that it would have been a COB for the keystone badge .I will get the parts , and see how she sounds . I am not big on metal snares , I prefer a mellow warmth to my snare sound. But then again this will likely go to the collection shelf.

Thanks for the info

Ernie

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here