Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Question about Slingerland Badge

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what month in '59 that Slingerland began using the black/gold '59-'61 Chicago badge shown below? I am trying to bracket the age of my bass drum a bit better. The year portion of the date stamp is smeared - all I can make out is Nov. 10 19.... then, lots of smudge. The Slingerland book mentions that the company moved to Niles in early '61. I believe the first Niles badges starting to be used in April of '61. Anyway, if you have any info i would love to hear it. Thanks!

1 attachments
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

From james

Hi guys,Does anyone know what month in '59 that Slingerland began using the black/gold '59-'61 Chicago badge shown below? I am trying to bracket the age of my bass drum a bit better. The year portion of the date stamp is smeared - all I can make out is Nov. 10 19.... then, lots of smudge. The Slingerland book mentions that the company moved to Niles in early '61. I believe the first Niles badges starting to be used in April of '61. Anyway, if you have any info i would love to hear it. Thanks!

James I don't believe anyone has narrowed it down that close,I could be mistaken??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi, Here is a story that was told to me about 12 or so years ago. By a man name Andy Florio Pres of the "National Asso. Of Drumologists". He know Mr. Bud slingerland and worked for slingerland from 1955-1969..When slingerland move to chicago badges they started to used them in the mid to end of jan..But also had drums with the older badges on them-mid jan to late jan] by Feb all drums had the chicago badges on them.So your drum is from Feb 1959-1961..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok no problem :) I figured I would ask, just in case - Thanks!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

So, that puts you at either Nov. 10th of 1959 or Nov. 10th of 1960?

Since all the previous Chicago badges were used up within a month in 1959, surely all the second Chicago badges would have also been used up between April and Nov. of 1961, leaving out the possibility of your drum being from 1961.

Does that make sense, or am I suffering from 3M adhesive remover exposure tonight?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow. Mikey777 that was some great info! Kevins I think you are right on. My drum should be A November '59 or '60. Thanks very much guys! It never ceases to amaze me how knowledgeable and helpful people are here.

Happy drumming

Posted on 14 years ago

My Slingy bass drum is dated Jan 10, 1959 and has the black & gold Chicago badge with the extra swirl. (56-59) That seems to support the info above.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here