Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Question about my '66 Ludwig BOP

Hello all. I am new to the site, and have a quick question (or 2).

The bass drum has the straight thin hideaway legs. Was this common? I have only ever seen the bent legs.

Also, is there anywhere to purchase floor tom hardware for this kit? The leg hardware used the spring tension and slips when playing the drum. I want to remove this original hardware and replace it with something more reliable. I WILL NOT REDRILL THE HOLES, so I need the hardware to fit as is.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

Your Clubdate kit's straight spike legs are correct.

I think Ludwig still sells their tom mounting hardware. The old spring things were notorious for slipping, but the "Classic" mounts fit the same hole pattern if I'm not mistaken.

What you could do is to measure the hole pattern for the tom tom's Classic mount and compare it to the floor tom's spring mounts. If the holes are the same, then you could get some Classic mounts on EBay or order them new from Ludwig.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your help! If I decided to upgrade the spurs, do you know if these would work without redrilling? Or will the placement on the shell be all wrong if I go to curved hideaways?

Posted on 15 years ago

Another way to keep what you have is to get some stops, I think Pearl has them. They fit the floor tom legs and act as a memory lock, but they would stop the legs from sliding also.

Posted on 15 years ago

The curved spurs will require a different hole to be drilled, I believe.

Yes, lucky's idea about the memory locks is a great idea!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It was the one sh#tty detail about the Clubdates...those icky telescoping spurs ala the cheapest of the cheap Japanese '60's sets.

Ack...those spurs on a thin 3-ply shell...always spelled trouble. Whenever I renovate a Clubdate, I switch to the Classic fold-out spurs (but that is when I do a rewrap so the old holes vanish).

Perhaps a more Slingerland-esque sorta telescoping spur assembly ?

http://www.precisiondrum.com/DS-1.gif

You could re-use the existing holes and it might work in that position.

I do believe classic tom mounts/FT leg mounts are the same hole spacing as the older ones, BTW....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I bought these a while back and have just let them sit in cases. I had the bearing edges recut last month (round) and now they are my obsession. I have to get these things up and running soon!

I thought about replacing the spurs altogether. I like the one's you suggested... I also like these, but they are much more modern looking. Any thoughts from you all? I might just sharpen the ends of of the current flimsy ones and buy a Gibraltar bass drum anchor.

I am looking for the Pearl floor tom memory locks (part # LG-04S). I haven't found an online retailer yet.

Thanks again!

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm the original owner of a 1963 Ludwig SBP Club Date kit and my bass drum came from the factory with the company's Classic fold-out spurs, not the telescopics, as on this one. When did Ludwig switch out the spurs from the Classic fold-outs to the telescopics on the club date kits?

Posted on 15 years ago

Please don't drill for new spurs! Just say NO to drilling! You will destroy the value of your drums. Do what Ringo did - use a front hoop mounted bass drum anchor, it really does help. You can find them for very little money on ebay.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, try and keep them as origional as you can.

Sharpen the spurs, set the front of the bass drum a little higher than usual, and use an anchor.

Stops, or memeroy locks on your legs is a great soloution, but if the Classic floor tom brackets fit, go for it.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here