Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Question about M.I.J. 60's snare drums

Ok guys and M.I.J. nuts.I just done emailing a friend of mine talking about 60's M.I.J. wood snare drums.He asked me what did i think about how many 10 lug wood snare drums were made.As we all know many 1,000's and 1,000's of 6 lugs and 8 lugs were made.I see these all the time.What do you guys think how many 10 lug snares have you seem over the years? I have seem very little in numbers maybe 100 or so....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Well Mikey, I know this is not much help but my Pearl President snare is a 10 lug, but is from the sixties? It is the only one i have see but I have been doing this for only one year. Good day!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey Mikey,

I was really surprised and shocked when I went to buy a 1968 Pearl "Bollero" kit and found it had a 10 lug snare. You're right, there are very few of these. I currently use it as my gig snare at the moment.

Sounds awesome and easy to tune. Clapping Happy2 Another good thing about this snare is the quality of the strainer. I took it apart to clean an re-lube and discovered it has nice heavy cast parts up to the quality of American drums at the time. Go figure...

I attached a pic of the 1968 Pearl snare catalog detailing the 10 lug snare.

-kellyj

3 attachments
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Mike,

I don't think I've ever seen a ten lug 'wood' snare from the sixties. Lots of metal ones, but those may be from the seventies. Certainly does not mean they aren't out there, but the ones mentioned here so far would be classified as scarce, if not rare.

My :2Cents:

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

I think Pearl and Star were attempting to produce "American" quality. Remember the first transistor radios that came out of Japan to compete with RCA...

The Japanese obviously weren't there quality wise in '68 but we do see great progress in the 10 lug snare introduced in '68 which had a decent strainer. The rest of the drum is of lower quality but still OK.

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

From kellyj

Hey Mikey,I was really surprised and shocked when I went to buy a 1968 Pearl "Bollero" kit and found it had a 10 lug snare. You're right, there are very few of these. I currently use it as my gig snare at the moment. Sounds awesome and easy to tune. Clapping Happy2 Another good thing about this snare is the quality of the strainer. I took it apart to clean an re-lube and discovered it has nice heavy cast parts up to the quality of American drums at the time. Go figure...I attached a pic of the 1968 Pearl snare catalog detailing the 10 lug snare.-kellyj

Thanks Guy's for the input.Yes its true that Pearl's pres. snare's were made of fiberwood and fiberglass..I have seem many steel or brass 10 lugs snare's from the 60's alot less wood shells snares.I just got this one its coming in in about a week.Its a Stewart 60's wood snare in B.D.P. it was on Ebay-{was only up for 2 hours}- with a very low B.I.N. price..The few photos from the listing...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Mikey,

What is the shell material of that Stewart?

kelly

Posted on 12 years ago

what is the diffrence between plain old wood and fiberwood..My President snare sure looks like it was made of some sort of wood,V

58-Blue Diamond-Pearl Clubdates
65-WMP Clubdates
66-Green Sparkle Clubdates
67-Root Beer Clubdates
65-Cream tiger-stripe Pearl Presidents
60's Red Sparkle Artist LTD
60's yellow sparkle Trixon's
??'s Kingston-MIJ--3piece kit/Pearl snare
many vintage pedals,cymbals,parts,ect,ect
Posted on 12 years ago

what is the diffrence between plain old wood and fiberwood..My President snare sure looks like it was made of some sort of wood,V

First of all, to Mikey sorry for getting off the subject of wood drums.

Wow that is a beauty of a drum! Do you have the rest of the kit? My President drums are a dark brown shell, looks like massonite but feels like plastic and is very hard. I suppose they took plastic, paper and wood to make these but I really dont know either.

2 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

First of all, to Mikey sorry for getting off the subject of wood drums.Wow that is a beauty of a drum! Do you have the rest of the kit? My President drums are a dark brown shell, looks like massonite but feels like plastic and is very hard. I suppose they took plastic, paper and wood to make these but I really dont know either.

So-called "Phenolic" material. Same kind of material used in electronical boards at the time.

Poisonous in manufacture - and donĀ“t put it on a bonfire either!

Jon

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here