Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Question about Ludwig Mach5

22" Bass, 16" Floor Tom, 12" Tom, 13" Tom, NO SNARE.

Only issue is where the wrap starts. It's separating from the shell about 1/4". The worst is the Floor Tom - See Photo. I don't know how to tell how many ply.

[Attachment: 3462]

[Attachment: 3463]

[Attachment: 3464]

[Attachment: 3465]

[Attachment: 3466]

Hello, I recently joined your site and I am looking forward to learning more and discussing drum issues with other members.

I just purchased a 1974 Ludwig Mach5 kit from the original owner. I've tried to research it and the only thing I found is a picture of it. What can you tell me about the series? Are they rare? What kind of wood? The wrap is wmp, and it has yellowed. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you, Terri

Posted on 16 years ago

There is a complete Mach brochure in the Ludwig section of the main web site, which tells you all of the options, colors and configurations.

I have not seen a lot of these sets, so they would be hard to find.

You would have to take the head off and tell us the interior finish and the plys, then we can help with the woods.

But they were made with the same shells as all of the other drums of the 70's, just a different type of lug..

Also, the yellow is normal and with a good cleaning and polish you can make them look very nice, but the yellow is part of the finish.

It would be great to see this set!

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I just added photo's and further description to the original post. Thank you, Terri

Posted on 16 years ago

By 1974, the shells would likely have been maple/poplar/maple 3-ply with solid maple reinforcement rings. Yours has the Granitone painted interiors...which was method of sealing the interiors and covering up any plies that might be discolored or blemished...and, of course "sold" as a sound enhancement.

Mach lugs are probably more rare than the Classics or Bowties, but that doesn't necessarily make them more valuable or desirable. The fact that the Mach lugs extend the length of the shell means they are more massive and more dampening to the overall tone....some might say, anyway.

Your kit looks pretty nice. Too bad they just missed being able to hide that lifted seam on the floor tom with the Mach lug! It would have almost completely covered it! But, that can be repaired fairly easily.

I never associate the Mach lugs with WMP wrap. I normally associate the Mach drums with those specialized wrap colors they offered as an option...gold, red, blue, bronze or silver "silk".

I bet they sound great!

What's the other red kit in the back? Is that a red silk Mach kit?

Nice dog!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all your information. I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind. How would the seam be repaired? What would the (ball park), value be? The red kit is a Pearl Export. I wish it was a mach... and the dog's name is Nick and he always shows up at photo time. Thanks again, Terri

Posted on 16 years ago

Do a search for "seams" and see what you find. If you can't come up with anything, then I'll try to come back and describe the process I used to fix the lifted seams on my old Super Classic kit.

Value is ballpark: $700-$1000

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here