Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Question about Camco Drums

I have a camco drum with LA badge there is a number stamped on the inside #468 what does that mean? Also the color of the drum is Alice Cooper white, but I was thinking of stripping it down and doing a Maple stain (which is one of the color offered for that year). My question is if I do that will the drum lose value?

Posted on 12 years ago

Any time you alter a drum from its original condition, the value goes down greatly. Unless it is a super rare drum that somebody must have to complete a kit. Otherwise, altering it will drop the value by half or better. Forget collectors buying unless it's in pristine, original condition.

Those Alice Cooper whites are rare. Don't mess with it unless you absolutely must.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

The paint on the kit is in bad shape but maybe I'll leave it as is for now, I still need to get dampners and new heads for it

Posted on 12 years ago

From italstallion

I have a camco drum with LA badge there is a number stamped on the inside #468 what does that mean? Also the color of the drum is Alice Cooper white, but I was thinking of stripping it down and doing a Maple stain (which is one of the color offered for that year). My question is if I do that will the drum lose value?

The number is merely an inspectors ID number and not month and year made... or model number... as some have speculated. Can you post a picture of the drum and number?

Posted on 12 years ago

You really don't want to strip down a vintage LA Camco. The value as John says will drastically decrease.

The shells were made in a factory in Pennsylvania which is another part of American drum history.

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some pictures of my restore project. The original color is Alice Cooper White, but over time the drums turned a Cream color.

Posted on 12 years ago

Goregeous drum!

My mistake, that is the original Camco shell with re-rings and not the transition maple shells and lugs/badge to Tama. This makes it even more collectible :)

kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

From italstallion

Here are some pictures of my restore project. The original color is Alice Cooper White, but over time the drums turned a Cream color.

Beautifu!, It looks like it has aged to the same color as a Vintage Fender Statocaster. That cream color is fantastic, and highed prized. Thanks for sharing!

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. I will post more pictures once the kit is complete with new heads top and bottom, the dampners, etc. Stay tuned.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hmm.. Im a bit confused here. To me it seems that the Tom mount on this drum is a Slingerland mount. -I admit, I am pretty new to vintage drums and I have barely seen any Camco drums (never had a chance to play them either).

But if the mount has been replaced, then the value has gone down already.

/Johan M

70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here