Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Quality Control Issues

Hello there.

I like to read about ALL kinds of drums -both new and old ones. I like to compare and contrast the styles of manufacturing and the various design elements amongst the different brand names. I am always curious to see who is trying something different or who is trying to contribute to the evolution of the drum....But really, when it comes right down to it, a drum is a simple instrument. It's complexity is only really realized in relation to the complexity of the player. In other words, a good drummer can make a bad drum sound great but, by the same token, a bad drummer can make a great drum sound bad.

So, then...What difference does it make to concentrate on the drums when it is in fact the drumming that will ultimately determine the sound?

Collectors don't even necessarily need to be players in order to enjoy their collections, however. In terms of collecting vintage drums, I oftentimes read of "quality control" issues -especially with 60'S era Gretsch and Ludwig drums. Things like "poor bearing edges"...."out-of-round shells"..."seam separations"...etc.

And yet...

Gretsch and Ludwig are dominant brand-names in the world of drums and, quality-control issues aside, there is a history to those names. The history is part of the value that allows us to overlook the quirks that were part of the drum manufacturing industry some 40-50 years ago.

But, what about NEW drums? -Modern drums, I mean.

When a modern drum maker produces work that is as "quirky" as some of the older drums were, there is no history behind them that allows us to be as merciful -so-to-speak. We have come to expect that modern drums have worked out all those old "kinks" -that, in essence, modern drums have studied the ways to improve older ideas by way of applying more attention to the details that went under the radar on vintage gear. With everything that is now known about the drum, it would seem almost unforgivable for a modern drum maker to get away with the same types of structural and/or cosmetic flaws that were commonplace on much of the vintage gear. But...IS that really the case? Or, is it possible that modern manufacturing has flaws of its own?

Do any of you know examples of modern drums that have quality-control issues? I'm not talking about in terms of "bargain" drums...I'm speaking of professional-level instruments.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

You mean ALL modern drums are perfect in every way?Falling Do

Posted on 16 years ago

I think there is no company that is flawless in that respect... I was sitting behind a set of DW silver anniversary drums and I just kept looking at the floor tom....

Then I noticed the wrap was on an angle. Under one lug and to the left of the lug underneath it...

I was a little shocked by that.

I know once a company ramps up production without ramping up quality control, more will get through that is less then perfect...

They might even have to loosen the control to keep up with the demand

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I'm confused, there's still companies making drums?

I think there are still plenty of quality control issues across the board. Ludwig had a reputation of having some serious qc issues maybe 5 years ago, but I think they've been ironed out.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

It might be a small issue but I have had issues with grommets coming loose on 2 different sets of DW's. Not a big deal but a real pain having to take heads of to re-tighten. I ended up using "lock tite" to prevent them from coming loose.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

It might be a small issue but I have had issues with grommets coming loose on 2 different sets of DW's. Not a big deal but a real pain having to take heads of to re-tighten. I ended up using "lock tite" to prevent them from coming loose.

Hey, John! That's a great point. I hate those screw-together grommets. It's a great example of one of the modern "improvements" that always end up being bigger, heavier and more complicated. And yet, at the end of the day, it ends up being the customer who ends up having to fix the improvement with something like thread-locking liquid, etc.

I think I would be able to come up with as many criticisms of modern drums/gear as I have read in regards to vintage gear. It really just ends up being a trade-off in many ways. While vintage gear may not be able to stand up to abuse as well, it mostly does work...and the fact that there are examples after examples of 40 or 50 year old (and older) gear that still work perfectly to this day is kind of a testament to it durabilty -based upon proper care and treatment.

I happen to own a Peavey RadialPro 1000 snare drum. It's never been taken out of the house -to a gig or anything...and always been in a climate-controlled environment. It's basically been meticulously cared for from the time it was taken out of the box. But, lo and behold, one day I happened to notice a small sliver of chrome on one of the rims. As it turns out, a small area of the plating was flaking off. If I would have pursued picking at it, I feel as if I would have been able to remove quite a bit of the chrome...so I didn't touch it. Burger Kin But, how's that for quality? A brand-new drum and the chrome "automatically" flaked off! This drum retailed for something like $500.00 and yet the plating on the rims was obviously as cut-corner as it could have been. I never saw anything quite like that on any vintage drum.

I would like to think that higher manufacturing standards would make the real improvements happen, but it's almost as if nobody can afford to raise the standards of manufacturing and still stay in business. Maybe that's why the "small-shop" or "custom" builders began to appear a few years ago. But, even they are oftentimes utilizing the same Asian-manufactured parts...The difference is that they will put the thread-locking liquid on the screw-together grommets for you! ;)

I do think there are some really nice modern drums, too...but give me a few minutes to think of some! ;)Burger Kin

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here