Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

putting felt where there has never been any...

hi there,

i am restoring a round badge gretsch set from the 60ies.

while taking apart the drums i noticed that there is no felt inside the lugs.

now should i leave it like it is or should i put some dampening inside (cotton balls or felt pieces).

i feel that i should leave it like it is.

any suggestions?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Flick the lug with your finger...if you hear a "boiiiiinnnng", put some felt...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Bloody Rich

hi there,i am restoring a round badge gretsch set from the 60ies.while taking apart the drums i noticed that there is no felt inside the lugs.now should i leave it like it is or should i put some dampening inside (cotton balls or felt pieces).i feel that i should leave it like it is.any suggestions?

I recently saw that here too. I never checked for the "boinging" I just went out to Fabricland and bought some felt and sat around and put it in all my lugs.

I'm restoring a 61 (it was bought new in 61) Gretsch 3ply and just in the cleaning repairing stage now. My first kit restore project.

How's it going and what did you get?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The "boiiiing" test is only because, some old lugs (old Rogers Beavertails or old Slingy SoundKings, for example)...were so damn hefty and thick-walled that there was NO WAY the vibration off of the shell was gonna transfer thru those lugs to make anything rattle.

On the other hand, cheaper, lighter, thin-walled lugs are reputed for having this problem. I have only renovated one Gretsch kit, but have come across some orphans in my day, and some of those old Gretsch lugs were pretty darn hearty....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The "boiiiing" test is only because, some old lugs (old Rogers Beavertails or old Slingy SoundKings, for example)...were so damn hefty and thick-walled that there was NO WAY the vibration off of the shell was gonna transfer thru those lugs to make anything rattle.On the other hand, cheaper, lighter, thin-walled lugs are reputed for having this problem. I have only renovated one Gretsch kit, but have come across some orphans in my day, and some of those old Gretsch lugs were pretty darn hearty....[/COLOR]

Yes - I have hearty lugs - now - with little felt pieces in them........it shouldn't hurt I guess. It was kind of fun putting all those things in there. It's only a 4pc kit though - I'd maybe feel different if I was "felting" Bozzio's kit.

Posted on 14 years ago

ah, ok.

well the lugs are definately more heftier than my gretsch late 80ies ones.

actually i decided to leave thge felt out... i mean it was never there in the first place.

you know maybe the springs contribute to the "great gretsch sound" :)

Posted on 14 years ago

Flick the lug with your finger...

you dont want to know what my eyes wanted to read first .... :))

Posted on 14 years ago

From Bloody Rich

ah, ok.you know maybe the springs contribute to the "great gretsch sound" :)

I was talking to Max Roach at Birdland one night (not recently of course) and he said just that......LOL..............

kidding.............ya - you never know what the accumulative affect of little things like that contribute to a "certain sound."

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here