Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Puresound problem with Rogers Powertone

Hey People,

I just got a 1964 Powertone that had some generic Taiwanese/Gibraltar wires that sounded ok (a tad dry). Decided to upgrade to Puresound 16 strand. I have used Puresounds on vintage snares successfully - resonant, sensitive, full. Instead, when I engaged the snares, the drum choked.

I then used Pearl Ultrasound 20 strand I-types and the drum again breathes, sounds pretty good.

I am not a newbie and have an extensive collection of snare drums. I mostly use the Pearl Ultrasounds as they sound good on most snares and are easy to get here in Australia.

I heard a similar story from a mate who used Puresounds on a vintage Premier snare. The only similarity of which I'm aware is that both drums have very slight bearing edges.

Anyone have a similar experience and potential workaround?

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've used Puresound on a few snares. Some were good and some were not. I have a variety of snares (the metal parts, not the drum) to choose from. I've had good luck with the Tama Starclassic's. It sounds to me like you've found a workaround for your situation. It's not unheard of to have one set sound better than another.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ive used either the 14" 20 strand or 14" 16" strand very succesfully on Ludwig Jazz Fests ,Slingerland Sound Kings, and a Round Bagde Gretsch. However when I added them to my Dynasonic (without using the snare frame/bridge they sounded not so great.

I am glad to hear someone else also had this experience, I tought it was just me. I think I'll go back to the Pearl snares on The dynasonic and move the puresounds to a different snare that they will sound better on.

All in all Puresound wires REALLY make my snares sound great.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here