Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Psychedelic Red Ludwig Blue Note

Gentlemen,

I am trying to purchase back my original 1966/67 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Blue note set with double bass, double toms on floor stand, double floor toms, supraphonic 400, original speed king pedals and high hat, three additional stands and cymbals. Most heads are originals. Cases, throne and accessory hard case all included. I understand it has sat virtually undisturbed for about 20 years. I paid over $1000 in 1966, and I have the chance to re-purchase. I don't have any photos but I am satisfied that the set is in excellent condition, in need of a refurbishment. Can you give me any advice on what they are worth or what I should offer as a reasonable purchase price?

Hot to Drum

Posted on 16 years ago

Whatever he will take!

If you sold them for $500 offer him the $500!

Does he know what they are worth, is he a collector?

I would think that set should be in the $1500 - ???? range in that finish....

Rare indeed and if the are all original then play the sentimental part and whatever he says, say OK...

Run there now! Keep an onion in your pocket and rub your eyes with it!

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Couldn't have been in 1966. The earliest psych red was the end of 1967.

If original and unfaded, the set would probably sell for over 2K.

The price would go down depending on how much they've faded.

Posted on 16 years ago

Actually I am of the strong beliefe that psych red appeared around June of 1967. I saw a mod orange jazzfest once that was dated June of 1967. That was the earliest I have seen and I think those colors appeared together. Would make sense as it was right at the cusp of the summer of love. The actual first ad for psych red and mod orange came out in early 1968 though. I have a 1968 rock duo psych red set. 20,20,12,13,16.

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2168

I paid $1100.00 for my set although I think it is worth more close to the $1800.00 mark. I would think that other set would be worth quite a bit if the color is good. Make sure there is plenty of green! I would think $2000.00-2500.00 if it is in excelent shape. Good luck and please post pics!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it may have been 67. Seems like 40 years ago. Wow. Anyway, I am going to start the discussions, and will keep you posted. If I don't do this by June, and also if I do, I will get photos and post.

Thanks again.

Jim

Posted on 16 years ago

Here are some of the photos taken over this past Christmas. Ludwig Psych Red Blue Note. If I move forward, I will try to get the small toms featured in the 1967 catalog on the left side of the two center toms. Let's hope this goes through. These drums deserve some special attention.

Hot to Drum again.

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From jakriss

Gentlemen, I am trying to purchase back my original 1966/67 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Blue note set with double bass, double toms on floor stand, double floor toms, supraphonic 400, original speed king pedals and high hat, three additional stands and cymbals. Most heads are originals. Cases, throne and accessory hard case all included. I understand it has sat virtually undisturbed for about 20 years. I paid over $1000 in 1966, and I have the chance to re-purchase. I don't have any photos but I am satisfied that the set is in excellent condition, in need of a refurbishment. Can you give me any advice on what they are worth or what I should offer as a reasonable purchase price? Hot to Drum

I had that exact drumset in OBP (May 1965)...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

Those are very nice! Did the set ever have the matching canister throne and jazzfest? I am pretty sure those were part of the blue note. Your set at the earliest was probobly made in March/April of 1968. The white paint was used on all drums in 1967 and stopped around March or April of 1968. I had a psych red set that was dated April of 1968 with clear interiors but have also seen a March 1968 set with white paint so I am guessing on the switch from white paint to clear interior.

Looks like there is some good green left in that set. All fixed up I would value it between $2000.00 and $2500.00. I could be high given the market though. I have a Dec 12th 1968 rock duo set in psych red. The rock duo was the smaller version with 2 20's, a 12,13,16 for the toms. Did you check the set for dates. It almost looks like there is one inside one of your bass drums. I hope you get the set as it is a real beauty and a rare one at that!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Dear Readers,

The gig is up on the Blue Note Psychedelic Red Set. He wants $5k and they are not in that great a shape. In fact, I would expect another $1000 in new hardware , etc to do the restoration. I am proud that the original heads are still intact except that somecone cut out the base dum head for a microphone(I prsume).

I may start a new research project to see what kind of collection of 1967/68 psychedelic drums I can gather. Perhaps I can reconstruct an all-start kit from several sources. Perhaps two hollywood sets side by side would do the trick. Looking for any Psychedelic Red components (1967/68).

Thanks for the insights and memories. Anyone knowing of bits and pieces of 1967/68 ludwig, let me know. I think I will concentrate on the drum shells and speed kingpedals and highhat. The normal cymbal stand hardware are probably better off newer without pitting, etc. I may also seek out the supraphonic 400 replacement. However, I recall playing then with a Rogers Dyna Sonic that I felt had much better snare response. I trust you would agree.

Cheers for a happy 2008. Let's all cheer that Obama can turn this thing around. He has certainly made a lot of promises.

Jim

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here