Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Proud Father of a Newborn Vintage Roger's Swiv-O-Matic kit!! What am I in for?

So I recently got very serious about doing deep funk & soul, and I've been looking to invest in my 'life kit,' ie. the kit I will probably play until I'm dead. By this point in my journey I have totally outgrown the Mapex Mars I got when i was a teen, and have just about drove it into the ground. Over the years I've figured out ways to max out the sound on the Mars, but it still wasn't enough for what I need to do. So in the last few days I've been on a somewhat heroic journey to find my holy grail, a sweet ass filthy vintage kit with that dirty dirty tone.

And thanks to you fellas and mr ebay over there, I've now found my baby, a butcher block 3 pc swiv o matic drum kit! It's being shipped over from Portland to Toronto right now, and I'm Totally Pumped. I got an awesome deal too! And I love the butcher block finish...!

In any case I wanted to ask you guys a few questions. What am I in for?

Are there any annoying idiosynchrocies about the Swiv-o-matic that I should be aware of? Whats up with this hotly debated tom mounting system? Should I buy a snare stand for the tom?

What skins should I use on the Mother to bring out maximum funkiness? Not like Earth Wind & Fire funk but like Al Jackson Jr., Bernard Purdie, Clyde Stubblefield.

What kind of cymbals compliment this kit? What did the funk guys use back in the day? Should I just stick to the standards? or go for the new hyper mega fuzion kinds?

And most importantly, what snare drum should I use with this kit? Should I go with a Suprasonic? Whats the difference between vintage and new Supras? What else did they use back in the day?

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks a lot fellas, for helping me find this sweet little baby kit.

B

Posted on 16 years ago

The swivo tom mount should work fine. I think they tend to choke the sound on toms...RIMS mounts always seem to improve the sound of vintage drums.

I'd go with REMO ambassadors all around, to start. A good combination is coated on top and clear on the bottoms. I like the powerstroke 3 bass drum heads with a ported front and little or no muffling. For that old schools sound, muffle the bass drum...

'60s and '70s A Zildjians were probably used on the stuff you like and they can be had relatively cheaply...you can keep the ones you like and re-sell the ones you don't for what you paid for them.

For your snare, try a '60s or '70s Ludwig Supra or , cheaper, an acrolite (with remo ambassadors, too.)

Chrome powertones are easy and inexpensive to find, as are Slingerland chrome snares from the same era. Both are great sounding drums.

I like butcher block too. Good luck!

Posted on 16 years ago

Nice score, hope customs doesnt rape you.

The post above has excellent advice.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

You might consider going with the Emad on the bass drum...that eliminates the muffling issue. Snare options are plentiful...hard to go wrong with a Dynasonic. Good luck.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here