Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Prototypes

Prototypes in the vintage drum community are probably quite rare, but for some reason the least rare of all the drums get categorized in that way from time to time. Then it gets topped off with an endorser association. Where do people get these ideas? Is it someone trying to scam the unsuspecting buyer or is it purely drawn from inventive and deluded imaginations? Given the $2700 price tag, I suspect the former.

Here is an example of a kit described in this way that might be about as common as any to come along in its era. An early 1970s Rogers Londoner in NE White wrap missing the 8x12 and its tom arm.

If it is at all rare at this juncture, it's only because a lot of white drums got junked along the way. That was simply because it was one of the least interesting and overused wraps ever to appear and, therefore, they didn't retain a high value. It probably remains a good player kit to be used without having to worry much about damage or theft if the gig you have isn't in one of the best neighborhoods and the lights are kept low.

The good news is, if that wrap is needing replacement, you can get plenty of it for short $$ and the kit can be restored to its original monotony.

Prototype it is not and it has nothing to do with Roy Burns other than the fact he endorsed Rogers drums at one point in his lenghty career.

You can probably locate one of these soon at your nearest yard sale for a couple hundred $$.

Caveat emptor.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Roy Burns was attached to the "Starlighter IV", not the "Londoner" as the seller has it listed.

The "Londoner V" was attached to Steve Ettelson.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 2 years ago

"Prototype" is overused, usually as a way to explain something that isn't understood. Prototype's less distinguished brother is "Made on a Monday/Made on a Friday".

Posted on 2 years ago

I used to own a complete Zickos "Supersonic" kit. It was fiberglass...not acrylic. The shells had kind of a "marshmallow" shape with the resonant side being 2 inches smaller than the batter side. I bought them back when I was buying anything that was an unusual design. However, they sounded like @#$%^ and the edges looked like Dr. Frankenstein had done them. I sold everything except the bass drum -which I used as a surdo in a samba band I was in for awhile. For that, it sounded great.

I was told these drums were prototypes that were made by a company that built fiberglass boats.

Apparently, there was a brief period of time when the Zickos ownership has switched hands. It was during this period that these fiberglass shells were made.

I've seen another kit somewhere online.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here