Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

proper torque specs for Gretsch lug screws

On re-assembly of my Gretsch shells i got to wondering if there was a specific torque spec for the lug screws, I've gently snugged them down to where they feel tight, but are they tight enough or too tight ? The lugs are not made of the strongest metal so I'm being careful not to strip out a screw, but a proper torque spec would be nice to know , I'm aware that it depends on the condition of the threads , if they are rusted inside the threads an accurate torque reading would be difficult i'm sure. any advice or tips??

Posted on 12 years ago

I've wondered the same thing. Not only about Gretsch but just drum hardware in general. I've always just snugged them good in the past and have been fine. But I'll be watching this topic too! :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

On wood shells and even metal shells with compression washers, there is a bit of compression that takes place on first tightening. I always leave the shell sit for an hour or more and go back and resnug the bolts or screws.

I kind of doubt, if there is an actual torque setting because there is no danger to components, or safety, as there is with a car for instance. If a lug screw should vibrate loose, it eventually gets found out and gets tightened. One would think that if there was that much concern for the lugs loosening up , they would install lock washers in the factory but such is seldom seen.

One concern might be ,if the screws(bolts) were overtightened. Then stripping could be an issue. Most rebuilders have run into that one.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here