Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Proper Skins for a 50's slingerland marching snare?

Hey guys, first post here, looking forward to meeting some drum freaks like you and so on!!!

Ok, so I will try to be brief (I like to ramble on)

I need to get Skins for a Slingerland Marching snare from the 50's, This one is a 12x12, with wooden rims and 5 ply maple, I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about (I can provide photo If needed) the "big block" looking one...I might just name it "the brown bomber" or even "the pig pen"

The trouble starts when I realized that a normal 12'' batter isn't going to fit, by just a TINY amount, I tried to squeeze a new one on ( I tried several), but It would be impossible to remove without a TON of force. The music store guy I do not trust; when he says they will "break in", I highly doubt that considering all the specs. of the original skins were probably different than anything on the market today, and I believe there is something made specifically for this type of snare.

Where do I start looking for the "proper" fitting heads?

and SECONDLY, what's the right "snare" peice to order?, the original one is basically toasted.

I don't want to get desperate (like always with any vintage gear, it's pretty much useless to get the "right" help when you need it) ..It looks like there's a few images of the identical one as mine here, but If there is an answer to this question, I haven't found it yet.

the clock is ticking today, and she's all stripped down, ready, and waiting.

Read on in case you are bored or curious (or both)...

I bought it from a military antique store In Toronto a while back for around 60 bucks more or less, It had the original skins, but they were obviously time worn and brittle, they didn't last too long, all I had to do was tune it up and the resonater split after the temperature dropped sharply one evening...I know the rims are pretty indestructable, but this one has a VERY "slight" warp to one side, that might also have been a factor..I still scared myself for a minute, thinking i'd stripped a lug. *whew* It wasn't THAT tight.

This is the FIRST place I will ask, I NEVER find the parts for ANYTHING, be it amps, Tape decks, drum hardware, it ALWAYS seems that I only ever break or wear out something Impossible to find without having to run some kind of perverbial blindfolded marathon. do you ever get that too?

I have a feeling I could be pretty doomed to suffer yet again.

ok guys, Thanks for your attention!

-J

"If we don't sound good, at least we can still LOOK good!"-J
Posted on 14 years ago

J,, first off Welcome to the VDF, Now are you sure that's the correct measurements of your drum? also post a pic of your drum please! so is this a snare drum or a tom?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Starting in the late 1950's, coinciding with the introduction of plastic heads, drum manufacturers standardized on a slightly undersized shell. A modern 14" drum shell will typically measure 13 7/8", but a 14" drum built before the late '50s will measure exactly 14". Because of that, if you grab an off-the-shelf head and put it on an old drum, it'll be really tight if you can even get it to fit at all.

Aquarian makes their American Vintage line of drum heads specifically sized to fit these old drums. But they don't offer a 12" snare side head to fit your (kids'?) drum. You'd have to custom order that.

Or I suppose you could tuck some calfskin heads for the drum. If it's older than the late '50s, that's most likely what would've originally come on the drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've never heard of a 12x12 Slingerland snare drum of any kind, and it's a first to hear about any Slingerland drums with a five ply maple shell from the 50s, or any other time.

Please post some pictures

It looks like there's a few images of the identical one as mine here

Also point us to where you saw these, it will help, too.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

ok, here's the pic!

I'm not EXACTLY positive about the Diameter, there's not much I can find about these snares.

but a cheap Aquarian head went on REALLY snug, Too snug if you know what I mean?

It seems large but, I'll let you tell me what I've got exactly, I roughy measured it as 12'' deep, so maybe It's less if you don't count the hoops?

I see the picture of this snare right on the forum page (on the floor to the right of a matching bass drum with a white "slingerland" skin)

but I believe the head is a 12'', because I can get the skin on a wooden oldschool "onyx" coloured *** "winston" snare (with pearl hardware)

well, I can't take the chance of ordering something wrong.

..and THANKS again!

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

your drum is a 60's model and it's probably a 12x14" measure the rim from inside edge to inside edge it's probably 14" , regular heads should go right on this snare drum! and a remo snare side ambassador would be a good start bottom and ambassador white coated top head!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

ok, you were right about it being a 14'' (this is something I SHOULD have known), and the Remo skin did the trick, but I had to go with an Evans resonator on the bottom, came to a total of $46.87 and I was almost In tears while my debit card was processing, that's more money than I've had In a LONG time, I can't get into financial details, but I'm struggling, and This snare will always be there for me when I'm in a blue funk.

I couldn't afford a new Snare-wire, the original one is pretty much toast, but will still do If need be.

It's not a very wide wire, therefore the snare has a very "wet" tone.

so what type of Wire should I be going for do you think?

In terms of what is most "true" to the snare itself.

I can't always tell, sometimes a cheap item is just as good as a very expensive one.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here