Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

project vistalite restoration

OK. I picked up a set of '76 Vistas which I am now going to restore. It is complete with Original snare stand and hi hat stand. I have spent the last couple of days stripping everything down and cleaning and polishing all the chrome bits and pieces. Here' s a pic of the snare and 3 toms' shells. I still need to strip the kick and I need to glue the seam (many thanks to Purdie Shuffle for his valued input). Oh yes, the kit came with some sweet (dirty but chip, crack and keyhole-less) pies: 15" pre serial light Zildjian hats, a 10" paiste 2000 splash, a 16" super zyn crash, an 18" paiste stambul 65 heavy crash or medium ride (not sure but this cymbal is absolutely mindblowing), a 20" pre serial 602 crash and a awesome 20" zildjian ride. I will post seperate pic of cymbals. I will keep you guys posted on progress. Currently waiting for weld on 16 acrylic glue from the USA (once again thanks Purdie Shuffle) and new batter (remo cs black dot for toms and coated emperor for snare) and reso ( clear ambassadors) heads from Johannesburg. Cheers and have a great day, Erik.

sorry - I am battling with the attachment. I will keep trying.

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 10 years ago

Lets try again:

Blue Vista Shells:

L-R:

14x5

12x8

13x9

16x16

22x16 (not in pic)

Pies:

L - R:

16" Super Zyn Crash

15" Pre Serial A Zildjian Light Hats

18" Paiste Stambul 65

10" Paiste 2000 Splash

20" Zildjian Ride (I think it is an A Zildjian Meium or something similar - amazing sweet ping over darkinsh wash)

20" Pre Serial Paiste 602 Thin Crash

Posted on 10 years ago

Break a leg, Eric! I'll be following the resto as it goes along. They're going to come out great! I like the set-up, it's ergonomic, everything in easy reach.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Blue Vistas are the best, those will be very nice.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice project Erik. Yep blue vista's are very cool and nice the snare drum is there too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Thank you guys. I will keep you posted.

BTW - I have to re-paint the kick drum hoops. Were there any standard colours for the hoops in the 70's? I see a lot of silver and black. I was thinking of silver "sides" and black down the middle. What do you think?

Posted on 10 years ago

Most BD hoops were Silver Sparkle inlay over black hoops...

You found all this in Africa?

Ginger Baker doesn't live too far outside of JoBurg...maybe he would want to buy them!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

PS..very nice place you have!

Man I love palm trees...you know it is warm where you see them.....

There is a bar not too far away from me that imports big palms from Florida...and puts them outside...only ones in Michigan..I can pretty much assure you!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

The blue Vistas look ready for a dip the pool!

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 10 years ago

From blairndrums

PS..very nice place you have!Man I love palm trees...you know it is warm where you see them.....There is a bar not too far away from me that imports big palms from Florida...and puts them outside...only ones in Michigan..I can pretty much assure you!

Thanks blairndrums! I live in Durban, on the east coast of South Africa. Our climate is sub-tropical (hot and humid :-)) so we have palm trees aplenty! If I am not mistaken, Ginger Baker lives in Cape Town, which is about 1800 kilometres south-west from Durban.

Yeah, I picked those drums up right here in Durban. It was apparently the drum kit of the South African band Rabbitt (they were big in the mid-seventies, especially in South Africa and apparently the States) - I have checked them out on youtube and they did use blue vistas but I have not been able to confirm it 100% - the kit is a '76 model so the timing is about right and there are not too many vista kits in South Africa. Some useless info: as I understand it, Rabbitt's vocalist, Trevor Rabin, moved on from Rabbitt to Yes and their guitarist, Duncan Faure, moved on to Bay City Rollers. I was 5 years old at that time so I cannot say that I specifically remember but I do know one Rabbitt song - Charlie. That's about it.

Cheers and have a great day,

Erik

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here