Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Problem with Zoomatic Snare Strainer

Hi Dr., I am having a problem with a 70's era Zoomatic Strainer of mine. The Strainer is missing the rubber round-shaped thingy that goes behind the front knob of the strainer. Obviously the knob is very wobbly, and moves around too much. I do not see the point in finding another strainer, because this one would work fine if it only had that missing piece. What do you recommend that I try? Thanks for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Yes, in actual fact Zoomatics are very straightforward to repair. The original gum rubber washer is subject to dry rot - after 40 years the rubber just drys out. If you still have one intact, periodic Armour All treatment will help. Just "a little dab will do you".

I'm actually planning on doing a whole article on the Zoomatic, including its care and feeding. But a short story on rubber washer repair would be this. It can easily be replaced - a good alternative is to buy some amber colored latex surgical tubing, selected for the right inner and outer dimensions. You can typically get this stuff at a drug store that carries surgical supplies. Look near a hospital.

Just cut a thin piece to fit snugly, but not too tight, between the fine tension knob and the thin metal washer. The fine tension knob on an original Slingerland Zoomatic made during 1962 - 1984 is only pressure seated on the worm shaft. You can easily take it off and put it back on, though you must do this carefully.

Protect all the metal surfaces with layered paper towels, and then position the Zoomatic in a table vise. Tighten just enough to hold it, but be careful not to tighten any more than just that - tighten too much and you could crack the cast metal parts of the strainer. That would be disaster. Next, with the paper towels protecting the chromed metal surfaces, yank the fine tension knob off with the nail remover prongs of a two-prong hammer. Not too much force - just a good straight yank or two will do it.

With the fine tension knob off, the whole assembly will come apart. The tension knob is what locks it all together. So watch out if you want to keep the pieces assembled in their correct order. Now simply put the thin metal washer on, followed by your latex rubber washer, and finally the fine tension knob. Carefully pressure seat the knob back on the shaft. Do not use a hard metal hammer - that will make a very unwanted mark on the nice smooth chromed tension knob face. A soft rubber mallet, with gentle tapping, works beautifully. Tap the knob on straight, gently onto the shaft until you feel it stop. It's re-seated. Unless there has been some metal damage, the knob will stay on just fine. If you feel more comfortable, you can put a tiny amount of blue Loctite liquid on the tip of the shaft before you seat the knob. Make sure it is the blue version of Loctite - i.e., the one with temporary hold. Never use the red permanent version - if you make a mistake or if you need to make another repair in the future, you won't be able to get the knob off. Disaster. Basically, just pressure seat the knob; and use temporary-hold Loctite only if absolutely necessary.

I've replaced countless Zoomatic washers this way - with proper care it works perfectly. Your Zoomatic will operate as if new. And a smooth working Zoomatic is a thing of absolute drumming beauty!

Good luck!

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Dr., Thanks for responding back to me and for the info on the Zoomatic Strainer. I checked a local CVS store and they had nothing of the sort. I may just have to buy some latex surgical tubing from an Online supply store of some kind. Other than that where else should I look for this amber latex surgical tubing? Thanks again for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here