Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Problem with remo heads and a grestch round badge

Does anyone have problems with remo heads an gretsch drums???, I?ve bought a 62" round badge gretsch and I can?t fit those heads and they are my favourite???.I think the 20" bass drum it?s a bit bigger but no 1" more just a littlebit, is it possible????

Thanks and excuse my English I?m from Spain

Posted on 18 years ago

This is a well known, common problem with '60s Gretsch drums. One solution is to buy the American Vintage heads from Aquarian, which are slightly oversized and may work better. Another option, if possible, is to go to your drum store and try

every head they have to find one that fits. I've also heard of drummers breaking the aluminum hoop on the head to allow the head to fit. The last, and worst option, which many have done to Gretsch in the past, is to cut a piece of the pearl off the drum, so the head goes right on the wood shell. (I'd try the other options, especially the Aquarian heads, first!)

Posted on 18 years ago

Another vote for the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads. They work and sound great. I've used these on other drums that like yours were oversized a bit or even out of round. Another option would be to tuck a calfskin head to the right size. I'd check with Rob Cook at Rebeats if this is an interesting option for you.

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Another vote for the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads. They work and sound great. I've used these on other drums that like yours were oversized a bit or even out of round. Another option would be to tuck a calfskin head to the right size. I'd check with Rob Cook at Rebeats if this is an interesting option for you.

Normally , Remos fit very tightly but will go on . I've seen some Gretsch bass and snare drums that Aquarians fit tightly on ! Perhaps your drum is slightly out of round ?

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here