Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Pricing on Ludwig drums

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice here. I'm a guitarist with not that much knowledge about drums. I have a Ludwig snare, rack tom, and kick, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly when they were made, and what a fair price to sell them would be?

Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

. Blue oyster pearl

. Mid 60's

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

They look to be in horrible shape . Just stick them on Ebay with a starting bid of $ 50 each and let the market dictate the price .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

Unfortunately, I agree with JB. These are in seriously rough shape. You could verify one thing that may give a glimmer of hope. Run your finger around the edge of the bottom side of that tom and that bass. Is it smooth or is it rough? Is it chipped up? If it's rough, you will want to part with them as JB stated. If not, there is hope. You could put some heavy duty work and money into these to clean them up and bring them back from the very near-dead. You could work these into a "players" kit with a couple of hundred dollars investment and a very large amount of personal work. You more than likely won't get your money back from that, but you would have a decent kit to slap around. No matter which direction you go...spit on the car of whoever did this to these drums.

Posted on 15 years ago

See what cold storage in a dank damp musty smelly old basement or garage will do? Gotta love the duct tape residue too.....DOH

Posted on 15 years ago

If the shell are round and the bearing edges are in good shape, they are salvageable. It would be worth it to clean them up. You could get at least $500 for them.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

2 bass heads, 2 tom heads, 2 snare heads, snare cord, snare wire, tom hoop, tension bolts, washers, bass t-handles, bass claws...on first glance. That's between 200 and 250 (if you get the correct items). Then factor in cleaning gear and time. This is very very close to an ebay "as is" kit in my eyes. Then again, I'm the one who just brought home a 69 Rogers Hobo-Rust Who The Heck Cares About Bottom Hoops Special Edition. So, who am I to talk.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]MMMMM...I agree w/ Leray....those may not be goners at all...the wrap color is rare, and it's a damn good snare model.

I mean, it could just be cosmetic...under the crud and tape residue, if the shells arent warped and the chrome is only medium pitted...and the wraps aren't ripped or cracked....yes, those are worth something.I wouldn't pay 5 bill$ for 'em, but I would pay 4, probably (again, barring any of the serious damage mentioned above). It looks to have its spurs, rail, lugs, badges, etc. Hell, yeah, I'd pay $300-400 and then put $200 worth of materials into it, and whatever labor'd be necessary....for sure.....

This might be a situation where you then find a keystone floor tom and get that fella who does the custom-scanned color wraps to reproduce this particular shade of Oyster, to complete the kit. Ollie, that wrap has faded significantly...it looks to be grey/olive/slate but it probably began as either black or blue....

Wouldn't have touched a pitted snare shell ever, until Drumguy posted how he brought back that old Ludwig Supra in the restoration section.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

It's definitely a do up job, and I'm advertising it as such. I live in New Zealand, and we don't have that much vintage gear floating around the market here, so I've already had quite a bit of interest from local drum afficionados.

From what I've heard from the previous owners, they've definitely had a hard life. Lived in a few cold and damp garages, been moved in and out of many cars and venues, and used by a few kids to learn on.

I'm hoping someone will buy them who is looking for a bit of a restoration project, willing to put some hours into getting them to a playable level. They're never gonna look pretty, but hopefully they'll still sound pretty good.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here