Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Price estimate on Ludwig?

About 7 or 8 months ago, I picked up a snare drum at the Salvation Army for $15. I noticed it was a Ludwig, but I figured it was just some budget-end one from the late 80s or something. In recent weeks, though, I got curious about how old it was. I did some research, and found that it's a 1971. The shell and hoops are in pretty good shape. The finish (looks like a natural mahogany-type finish) is worn in a couple places, but not bad. Inside is a sticker with date and model numbers. The date number is 58717, and the model number is 3092. Model number is handwritten. The serial number on the badge is 841134.

A few tension rods are bent, the heads sorely need replacing, and it could use new snare wires. If I were to take care of all that, what kind of price might I be able to fetch for this drum? I have no actual intention of selling the drum; I'm just curious to see a ballpark estimate.

-Tim

Posted on 18 years ago

How many lugs and what size is the drum, which strainer and

any extra holes?

David

Posted on 18 years ago

It's an 8-lug, 10x14" snare with a P85 12-hole strainer. The butt plate has a script logo, so I don't think it's a P32 plate.

Also, it has a damper, and the badge is the pointy blue/olive one.

Thanks for your help.

-Tim

Posted on 18 years ago

It's a marching snare drum....not worth a whole lot.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Yep, marching drums usually become donor drums for other snare projects.

They usually are not worth restoring unless they have some historical significance, rare finish, sentimental value or are just unique in some way.

The pointy B/O badges in good shape can sell for $45 or more. The fate of most marching drums is not very good. Also marching drums in general are usually pretty beat up because of how they are used.

With the small fixes you mention, the drum is still worth less then $100

in my opinion without seeing it and the condition of the shell and parts.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

It's a shame that marching drums have devalued so much. This particular drum has a great thick sound (even with the old beat-up heads) that records really well.

I'm still gonna go ahead and make those fixes, so I can use it for some more recording projects.

Thanks again for your help.

-Tim

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here