Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Premier ?

Hi, I have a 14” x 6” snare drum with calf heads in good condition. The drum is chrome on brass and although needs a clean is in original condition. One of the calf heads has a stamp saying Premier - super - GF Smith – calf – SLUNK. There is no makers name on the drum and as far as I can see there has never been one however the snare (which again is in original good condition) has premier stamped on it.I need to sell the drum to raise cash and as I think it dates back to 1920’s I do not want to undersell it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Posted on 14 years ago

What is the writing on the strainer throw off arm say???? and is there any thing on the inside of the shell identification wise??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Strainer Says Premier. No other identification. Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Allen Della Porta didn't start making drums until 1922.....for the Boyle Drum Co. He had some ideas the Boyles didn't care for, so he left with their production manager. The Premier web site isn't specific about the timing.

So far, we can be sure it's probably later than 1922.

On the Premier web site, they show a sketch of a "kit" with a bass and a snare. The snare looks suspiciously like yours.

The heads probably aren't as old as the drum.

I doubt that Premier started stamping metal parts right out of the gate. After 2-years in business, the company had to expand their London (UK) factory. That's probably when the metal shop capabilities expanded.

Without serial numbers or other clues, you'll have a tough time getting older than 1925.

In the sities, Premier made good wood shell drums. I was partial to Ludwig. I couldn't take that big letter P on the drum.

HanksterTX

Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you, what you say is very interesting I am going to take a head off to see if there are any Nos etc will post any findings

Peter Sorry no Nos or any stamps

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here