Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Premier XPK redo

Hi all,

Thought I would post some before and after pics of a Premier XPK kit I recently refinished. Bass 16x22, rack 10x13, floor 16x16 and a 4x13 Pacific snare. I know it's not vintage, 95 ish, but it turned out pretty decent. I already have them sold to a co-worker who plays guitar. Works out good for me, now I don't have to haul a kit to his house to jam. I originally bought them for the Rogers hi hat stand.

When I got them they were beat. Someone had painted them using a thick coating of automotive paint, filling in any indentations with putty. I completely stripped them then sanded the shells inside and out. I used 3 coats of Minwax Green Bayou stain and 3 coats of clear on the outside. The inside of the shells received 2 coats of clear. I then wet sanded the exterior surface of the shells using 2000 grit sandpaper. Once that was done and the surface was as smooth as I could get it I polished the shells using Novus 2. The Novus did a great job of blending the clear. The shells were then given a final polish with a power buffer.

Hope you like the end result.

Dean

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes... I like the end result! The kit came out very nice! Thanks for posting and keep up the great work! Cool1

Posted on 12 years ago

What,..ya couldn`t save the couch leg on the cymbal stand ??

They look great and will live to be vintage !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Not only do they look great ,I bet they sound great,the XPK birch/eucalyptus shells are a fine blend!

Congrats

Posted on 12 years ago

Contrary to popular belief- A/XPK kits are pretty darned nice. They are the best low-end drums offered, and I would even go to say that they are closer to mid-level. Yeah, not the prettiest woods (hence the black interiors), but as long as they sound good, that's all that matters.

edit- the wood doesn't look all that offensive. Looks pretty darned good, in fact. I wonder why they painted them black on the inside?

Good job on the kit!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here