Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Premier Soundwaves?

Hi all,

Rescued this Premier kit recently and am trying to identify the line. The speedboat lugs and L-arm tom holder with oval post suggest early 1980s. The wood is difficult to identify because of the dark paint on the inside - I thought the grain may have suggested mahogany. My plan was to strip the shells to the wood and sand/stain/seal them, but it appears that the dark paint is also on the outside of the shells under the wrap. I thought this was odd, but I'm not a Premier expert. Any thoughts or info is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

3 attachments
thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

For a time (late 80's-early 90's?), Yamaha Power V kits were made in England by Premier. I recall them having mahogany shells with black interiors, too.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi There....I know more about 60's premier than the 80's line. Those will clean up great not sure what model but that dont matter. Cleaned up that kit will sing its pretty head off. As a source of info i now goto www.drumarchive.com which was recommended to me by a VDF member some yrs back. You can get all the info on any make of drum company plus year. If you cant get info there then VDF is probably in my opinion the best community for support help advice or a good old laugh or chat..........Cheers....sean UK

Posted on 7 years ago

Is a mark 1 APK circa '86.

The black paint is to cover the the lauan/meranti, similar to Tama using Zola Coat etc

Posted on 7 years ago

1985 catalogue - they lost the 'Royale' badge the next year and simply became 'APK' rather than 'Royale APK'

1 attachments
156.6 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

From dukekamaya

Is a mark 1 APK circa '86.The black paint is to cover the the lauan/meranti, similar to Tama using Zola Coat etc

Thanks - Premier info is tricky to pinpoint! I figured that a less expensive model would be the case here, but the lugs and badge threw me off. I paid $30US for the kit so I'm willing to experiment. My options are to strip them down but I'm not sure how good the grain is and how easily the paint will come off, or clean the existing covering but the stains are deep so I'll need a strong but safe cleaning solution. Any thoughts?

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

The lacquered versions (APK Excel - which later became XPK)) had a birch outer ply. Guess you'll just have to experiment and see how hard that black paint is to remove should just need a good sand.

Its a bargain so nothing to lose!

Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

Hi There....I know more about 60's premier than the 80's line. Those will clean up great not sure what model but that dont matter. Cleaned up that kit will sing its pretty head off. As a source of info i now goto www.drumarchive.com which was recommended to me by a VDF member some yrs back. You can get all the info on any make of drum company plus year. If you cant get info there then VDF is probably in my opinion the best community for support help advice or a good old laugh or chat..........Cheers....sean UK

Great resource - thanks sir. And thanks to the rest of you for the great info. Cheers everyone!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

Incidentally, I obtained this kit with some snare drums as well:

- a Premier Olympus 6" (cheap snare but it's a steel shell and good hardware).

- a circa 1977 5" Slingerland with the Zoomatic strainer (with shell tab), Radio King-style butt, original head (unplayed), and the warranty card still with it. The magnet doesn't like it so I'm assuming COB.

- a circa 1977 5" Pearl 4515 with the Gladstone strainer, also steel.

Total cost including the kit was $125 :)

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

Did you say 30 bux? I'll give you 35 for them, today only!

Great score. Have fun with them.

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here