Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Premier snare drum ID query

I have a white wooden Premier snare drum with reinforcement hoops on the inside of which the badge seems to be 1950´s. The lugs are similar to a Premier Hi-Fi but there are eight while the Hi-Fi seemed to have ten. The tension rods are round with a cut in the middle so one needs a special tuning key (which I had but got lost). So, is this indeed a 1950´s Hi-Fi?

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Posted on 13 years ago

well, the Badge says early 50s and judging by what I see in the inside, it was an Ace or Super Ace, looks like the inside has been filled in where the original strainer was located. The snare mechanism that is present was added later. The screw in the badge might be an indication that the snare was rewrapped

Posted on 13 years ago

Is the wrap overlapped or butted under a lug?

Premier always butt seamed their wrap and buried in under a lug.

Badges were never screwed on. Might be a retro-fit to make it appear older.

Do you own it now?

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi guys, thanks, this is really helpful. The drum has no wrap, it is painted white. There are spots of paint on the bearing edges. This, combined with the screw through the badge makes me conclude all pieces were taken off including the badge for a nice repainting. Yes, I do own it and sometimes play it.

Thanks again. Dutchy.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,

You may find your drum here:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Premier/

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here