Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

premier royal ace

I have a 14x4 premier royal ace snare with what looks like a mahohany finish. Ive had it for years and use it with my kit, was just wondering if anybody had any info on this drum.when it was made, what its worth etc. any help would be greatly apreciated.

thanks

Posted on 19 years ago

Is the mohogany the exterior finish?

What is the condition.

David

Posted on 19 years ago

yes its the exterior finish. its in really good shape/ i baby my drums. the badge is a little scratched, but the finish and chrome are in excellent shape.the snare and damper work perfectly. I just cant find anything about it, other then a pic with ringo playing one pre ludwig. so im guessing 62 or 3?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted on 19 years ago

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I also have a Royal ace in a light gold sparkle and it is a very nice snare. I have had it for awhile, but have not worked on getting heads etc.. The biggest problem with these drums is the snare wires. They are hard to find and can get expensive. No one in the USA that I know of are making them. Start with this and see if it answers your questions. I put the 58 scan in place to show how it looked early on and then the later catalog with how yours probably looks.

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/1958_premier_th.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/1963_premier_th.jpg[/img]

I also want to make a note for anyone viewing the web site when the box pops open and the image does not look crisp or easy to read put your curser in the lower right corner of the large image. With IE and Netscape a graphic or a magnifying glass with a (+) will appear. Click on it and the image will go full size.

The one thing you will find on the site is large images that should be easy to read!

I hope all of this helps and sorry for the lesson.

David

Posted on 19 years ago

Thanks alot David. That sure looks like my drum alright. so it was made sometime between 58 and 62? Any Idea of the value? should i bother adding it to my home owners insurance? Its definatly not for sale. i use it almost every day and love the sound it makes. very crisp and clean. also any ideas on how to keep the chrome from pitting? I noticed a few little marks when i was cleaning it and dont want them to spread. I picked it up at a swapmeet in England a few years ago for $25 and want to keep it looking as nice as it does today.

Thanks again

Dean The Band

Posted on 19 years ago

Value is between $200 and $300 based on what I paid for mine and what I normally see them go for. I have tried on two occasions for the Ringo color

snare on Ebay and I went as high as $400, then found out by email he wants $600 for it. It has been listed three times at least and I think he is asking more then the market can handle. Most people know Ringo with the Oyster Ludwigs and not the Premiers.

Premier has some of the best Chrome on vintage drums, so I would be suprised about the pitting. In regards to year they made them longer, but I only had the 62 catalog as a reference.

As long as it is not fighting any elements like salt or water, the chrome should not keep pitting. Salt could be sweat and touching the drum a lot with hands.

You can hand clean it with any automotive grade car polish. I use a product called Flitz and it also protects the chrome.

I have an extensive article on the web site about cleaning vintage drums

[color=#800080]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html[/color]

David

Posted on 19 years ago

phew, if it was worth alot my wife might have made me sell it lol.the beast (as my wife calls my drum room ) is getting just a tad full. luckily she has no idea how much my ludwig black beauty is worth!!!

Thanks again for all your help

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here