Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Premier Project One

Got my hands on one of these beauties a few days ago, the original 14"x8" shell, snow white wrap. Unfortunately I have 2 broken lugs, and one completely missing. Anyone knows a source for these? They don't have to be new but I'd like to find at least 4 of them.

Also I'm looking for the actual snare wiring that fits the damping system on these snares. If anyone has any ideas where to get them, do let me know.

Catch is, international shipping is a must.

And now to brag. :D

Bought this and a Remo snare of the same size which had one lug missing for about the equivalent of $110 including shipping. :D:D:D

The Remo was one of those weird 'Acousticon SE' (or whatever they call the material) shells and a tad more beyond help then I was aiming so I sold that straight away for 1/5th of the total price paid. :D

The P1 is in good shape for it's age, though the rims do have the usual ugly pitting. They'll be on their way to get re-chromed soon. The shell is pretty solid, though there is one problem. The lugs used on these are attached to the shell with only one screw, and some of the holes in the shell have started to elongate. Is there any way to repair such damage or will I just have to live with it?

Soooo... yeah... *wheeze.* I'm happy with the deal :D

Thanks for any help!

------------------------------------

Edit:

Just noticed there's a separate section for non-USA vintage drums. I'm sorta new and have no idea if I can move my post over there, so if an admin is around do move it please. (Should it not fit into this topic adequately.)

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Unfortunately, eBay is the best place to find vintage Premier replacement lugs...those are hard to come by. I dunno where you are exactly but I would guess that UK would have more of these than US (?)

Good move on unloading the Acousticon....eesh, those shells are a blemish on the history of drummaking....

For the elongated holes, all I can suggest is grinding them into round (use a Dremel tool with a conical grinding stone or such) and then insert a small washer, probably plastic, to center the hole again. It may take some digging to find a washer that would fit, but they would be at hardware stores, I'd imagine.

A pic would be nice.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, with patience you can definitely find those lugs on eBay. But you should investigate vintage drum shops in Europe, too.

Posted on 15 years ago

to get to the lug-bolts you have to remove the inner shell, which is 'sprung' into place, not glued. Be warned - if you do remove the inner shell, make sure you have plenty of patience, they take time to get back in again!

Posted on 15 years ago

Well... thing is I'm in Hungary... which isn't making things any easier...

I seem to have found an old busted Premier shellset that would be a good source for these lugs though the price is a tad high I think, since it's pretty busted. It's a 20" 16" 12" set, the 12" has everything and is near perfect (it has the same lugs as I'd need), the 16" floor tom is missing all lugs and rim on the bottom, the kickdrum seems to have a non-premier tom-holder retrofitted to it, the shell itself seems to have some minor water-damage on the bottom, and is missing the front rim along with the screws.

Price is round 177 USD.

Pic: http://www.ritmusdepo.hu/image/apro/76141.jpg

What do you guys think? Could this set be saved with little effort?

(If so, I'd buy it, strip the 12" for the lugs, pop on lugs from a 5" deep Premier snare I have which look only slightly different, and restore the full set.)

bigz:

I bought it with the inner shell already removed, as it had all the lugs taken off, and I fiddled with it for a while to put it back, which did work; although I think the inner shell is warped since I can't for the life of me get it to fit without a single gap between the plies of the reinforcement rings and the inner shell. What's more, the edges that are supposed to meet are slightly worn... perhaps from others' efforts to put it back in place. I can put the inner shell back in nice and snug, but after the first few rim-shots it slips out. What I did, as I've assembled it with a temporary set of lugs that work but don't look the same, is that I used thin, small strips of double sided tape to hold it in place. Until I can get the original lugs this seems the simplest.

I just love the sound of this thing. Have Evans Genera HD Dry batter, and Evans Hazy 300 resonant heads on it with a really tight tuning, which gives almost a marching snare -like sound, with quiet, well fitting 'wooden' sounding transients.

I'll try and put up some pics soon. Any ideas on the snare wires? Still can't seem to find much info on the dampers that came with this thing, and I don't really feel like drilling holes into snares... the screw heads wouldn't be flush anyway and would just damage the reso head.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here